[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] CYRIX 387

anne@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Anneliese Lilje) (05/04/91)

Has anyone used a CYRIX 25 MHz math coprocessor with an Intel
386? Are they a happy pair?

e-mail responses only please...

thanks
anne

alz@tc.fluke.COM (Al Weiss) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May3.211842.2137@nntp-server.caltech.edu> anne@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Anneliese Lilje) writes:
>Has anyone used a CYRIX 25 MHz math coprocessor with an Intel
>386? Are they a happy pair?
>e-mail responses only please...

Please POST responses.  I'm curious, too!

--
Al Weiss                   alz@tc.fluke.com                   206-356-5252
John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc. MS-269  PO Box 9090  Everett, WA 98206-9090  USA

LIBDON@BYUVM.BITNET (05/08/91)

In article <1991May3.211842.2137@nntp-server.caltech.edu>
anne@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Anneliese Lilje) writes:
>Has anyone used a CYRIX 25 MHz math coprocessor with an Intel
>386? Are they a happy pair?
>e-mail responses only please...

   I have been using the CYRIX 25 MHz chip for about 4 months.
   I've been very happy with it and have no complaints.

--
Don Merrell             libdon@byu.vm

crean@zds-oem.UUCP (Pat Crean Federal Systems Engineering x ????) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May7.150055.4284@tc.fluke.COM> alz@tc.fluke.COM (Al Weiss) writes:
>In article <1991May3.211842.2137@nntp-server.caltech.edu> anne@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Anneliese Lilje) writes:
>>Has anyone used a CYRIX 25 MHz math coprocessor with an Intel
>>386? Are they a happy pair?
>>e-mail responses only please...
>
>Please POST responses.  I'm curious, too!
>--
>Al Weiss                   alz@tc.fluke.com                   206-356-5252
>John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc. MS-269  PO Box 9090  Everett, WA 98206-9090  USA

I've used both the 20 and 25 MHz versions and have no doubt that the 33 MHz
would work just as well.  We've seen no problems and the components group
has qualified them as suitable substitutes for the intel part

Pat

ressler@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu (Mike "IR" Ressler) (05/09/91)

>>In article <1991May3.211842.2137@nntp-server.caltech.edu> anne@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Anneliese Lilje) writes:
>>>Has anyone used a CYRIX 25 MHz math coprocessor with an Intel
>>>386? Are they a happy pair?

I e-mailed a response but I'll post too ... I use the 33 MHz variety with a 33
MHz 386 clone and have had absolutely no problems - and I do lots of floating
point intensive number crunching. I like Cyrix's evaluation programs ...

"This program took 25 sec to execute; if you had been running an Intel 387, it
would have taken 43 sec."

Then we tried it with an Intel.

"This program took 43 sec to execute; you are obviously running an Intel 387.
If you had been running a Cyrix 387, it would have taken only 25 sec."

Not quite verbatim, but you get the idea ...
--
  Mike Ressler - Infrared Photon Jockey     ressler@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu

  If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger sledgehammer.