[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Sony 1.44 Mb floppy - Please Help!!

khan@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Coleman) (05/09/91)

Howdy, folks.

I just bought a used 1.44Mb floppy drive. It's a Sony model MP-F17W-59D.
I have it installed in my 386 clone. It seems to work for the most part,
with one major exception - the "disk change" switch appears to be non-
functional. I can read the directory from the first floppy I put in,
but subsequent floppies return the SAME directory information as the first!

I suspect there's some way to re-enable the disk changed switch, but since
I bought the drive used I have no documentation and no dealer to bug.

Can someone out there tell me what I need to change to get this working
properly?

Thanks for your assistance!

--
Scott Coleman                                                    tmkk@uiuc.edu

"If a software computer consultant believes her gonads are ruled by the moon,
then none of us is safe."     - Karla Jennings

tmkk@uiuc.edu (K. Khan) (05/09/91)

In article <khan.673744637@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu> khan@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Coleman) writes:
>Howdy, folks.
>
>I just bought a used 1.44Mb floppy drive. It's a Sony model MP-F17W-59D.
>I have it installed in my 386 clone. It seems to work for the most part,
>with one major exception - the "disk change" switch appears to be non-
>functional.
>[...]
>I suspect there's some way to re-enable the disk changed switch, but since
>I bought the drive used I have no documentation and no dealer to bug.

In case anyone is in the same boat or is interested, soldering a jumper
wire in position 7 on the small PC board which plugs into the back of
the drive and attaches to the floppy's I/O and control cable configures
the disk change line properly for use in an IBM AT.

Now, a followup question:

Where can I find a mounting kit for this drive? I need the 5-1/4" metal
cage as well as a half height floppy face plate. Is there a mail order
place which sells mounting kits for Sony 3.5" floppy drives?

Thanks to all.