[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Cursor slow-down/speed up

skesterk@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Shane Kesterke) (05/06/91)

Here's a recent observation I've made with my 386SX. I noticed when I power
up my computer sometimes the cursor speed is very fast and responsive and
other times it's slow and sluggish. This seems to be a random occurance
and when I power up I don't really know how the cursor will behave.
Does anyone else out there notice this with their system? Is there something
I can do or get that will keep the cursor moving fast at all times?

dag@persoft.com (Daniel A. Glasser) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May6.001736.15266@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> skesterk@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Shane Kesterke) writes:
>Here's a recent observation I've made with my 386SX. I noticed when I power
>up my computer sometimes the cursor speed is very fast and responsive and
>other times it's slow and sluggish. This seems to be a random occurance
>and when I power up I don't really know how the cursor will behave.

Just a theory:  If you are using a 16 bit auto-sense VGA card, the buss-width
sensing may be selecting 16 bits sometimes, 8 bits the other times.  The card
will be faster (thus all screen operations will be faster) in the 16-bit mode
not just because of the 16 bit memory access, but because the 8-bit memory
access to that board will have 16 bit I/O buss timing (typically fewer
wait-states.)  I've seen similar behavior here, but when my VGA card speeds
up, my mono card is completely unavailable.  (But that's an old thread,
long dead.)

I'm probably wrong, but you might try locking your card into 16 bit mode
(if you can.)
						Daniel Glasser

--
          Daniel A. Glasser  |  Persoft, Inc.  |  dag@persoft.com
                "Their brains were small, and they died."