[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Stock Ticker from FM

lash@tellabs.com (Bill Lash) (02/14/91)

I understand that in many areas stock ticker information is broadcast on the
FM band.  Does anyone have any information about how the data is encoded, what
frequency ranges are used, and commercial or roll-your-own products for
receiving the information and storing it on a PC?  I would appreciate any
information.

					Thanks,

					Bill Lash
					lash@tellabs.COM
					...!uunet!tellab5!lash

abeals@autodesk.com (Visualize Whirled Peas) (02/15/91)

lash@tellabs.com (Bill Lash) writes:

>I understand that in many areas stock ticker information is broadcast on the
>FM band.  Does anyone have any information about how the data is encoded, what
>frequency ranges are used, and commercial or roll-your-own products for
>receiving the information and storing it on a PC?  I would appreciate any
>information.

The information would be useful but it would be illegal to acutally
do it according to the radio act of '34 as it is a service meant to be
send to subscribers.  [Like Muzak on subcarriers.]

[Legal equivalent of asking for scanner mods so you *could* listen
to cellular phones but of course it's illegal to actually do it.]
--
Andrew Scott Beals
abeals@autodesk.com

In article <5312@tellab5.tellabs.com> lash@tellabs.com (Bill Lash) writes:

| I understand that in many areas stock ticker information is broadcast on the
| FM band.  Does anyone have any information about how the data is encoded, what
| frequency ranges are used, and commercial or roll-your-own products for
| receiving the information and storing it on a PC?  I would appreciate any
| information.

  There's a company called Express which sells hardware for doing this
off cable TV using a sideband (like the alternate language coverage). If
that's what is carried in your area they may sell a tuner for that, too.

  You pay a one time <$100 charge for the modem, data is free. I'm
looking into the data format, I want to catch it with a UNIX box doing
other stuff, not a dedicated PC.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

guy@contact.uucp (Guy Lemieux) (02/17/91)

In <abeals.666593406@melange> abeals@autodesk.com (Visualize Whirled Peas) writes:

>lash@tellabs.com (Bill Lash) writes:

>>I understand that in many areas stock ticker information is broadcast on the
>>FM band.  Does anyone have any information about how the data is encoded, what
>>frequency ranges are used, and commercial or roll-your-own products for
>>receiving the information and storing it on a PC?  I would appreciate any
>>information.

>The information would be useful but it would be illegal to acutally
>do it according to the radio act of '34 as it is a service meant to be
>send to subscribers.  [Like Muzak on subcarriers.]

First, take note that I am Canadian and may not know what I'm talking about
when it comes to American law.

I heard that it is within the Constitutional Right of any American to receive
any radio band s/he wishes to.  Thus, police RADAR detectors are legal.  In
Canada, we have no such right.  In Canada (Ontario at least) RADAR detectors
are illegal.

Perhaps some lawyers could clarify this point.  I don't know about the above
mentioned "radio act" either, but then I shouldn't (I'm Canadian, remember)
have a reason to.
--
Guy Lemieux          ENG SCI                          University of Toronto
guy@contact.uucp      9 T 2      Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering

mpe@shamash.cdc.com (Mike Ebsen) (05/13/91)

>  everything deleted...

  why do people respond to simple questions about technology with legality
answers?  This question has been asked 10000 or more times, nearly every
responds that it's not legal to decode the information.  Just once, I too
would like to hear a technical answer to a technical question.

Just my two cents worth.
  mpe@shamash.cdc.com