[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] clone builders --- any magazine?

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) (05/14/91)

Are there any magazines out there that specifically address the (small)
market of people who build their own PC clones from "boxes 'n boards"?
--
 /***************************************************************************\
/ Phil Howard -- KA9WGN -- phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu   |  Guns don't aim guns at  \

ckeele@oregon.uoregon.edu (05/14/91)

In article <1991May14.054200.28095@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) writes:
> Are there any magazines out there that specifically address the (small)
> market of people who build their own PC clones from "boxes 'n boards"?
> --

Computer Shopper is one of the best sources for parts & pieces.  Tons of
ads, and even sometimes an interesting article.  Even had a few articles
on buying Mac boards and PC boxes and building Mac "clones".  I think the
market isn't "small", but is rather large, judging by the number of
advertizers, most offering complete systems, bare-bones systems, and
mother boards, and various cards for doing whatever you want with.

Clifford Keele, Honors College, University of Oregon
clkeele@hephaestus.honors.uoregon.edu
ckeele@donald.uoregon.edu

P.S.  I'll think of my snappy quote sometime.

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) (05/15/91)

ckeele@oregon.uoregon.edu writes:

>Computer Shopper is one of the best sources for parts & pieces.  Tons of
>ads, and even sometimes an interesting article.  Even had a few articles
>on buying Mac boards and PC boxes and building Mac "clones".  I think the
>market isn't "small", but is rather large, judging by the number of
>advertizers, most offering complete systems, bare-bones systems, and
>mother boards, and various cards for doing whatever you want with.

I'm looking for something more specifically targeting the builder market
rather than one that markets everything.  I read Computer Shopper and
probably will continue to because it is good.  But I am still looking for
something "else".  Something dedicated enough to builders so that the
articles are all oriented to builders and the more technically inclined,
from those not afraid to open their PC, to those that will get out the
soldering iron and make changes, and possibly those that will even design
and build their own boards for some things.
--