[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Why buy a DX over an SX?

elliot@xenna.encore.com (Elliot Mednick) (04/10/91)

Ok, so we have beaten to death the differences between a 386SX and a 386DX.
What I would like to know is what to the big attraction of a DX which seems
to cost $200 more (without cache).  What does the 32-bit interface buy you?
Certainly not CPU performance.  I did some checking and got these SI (5.0)
numbers:

CPU      SI (5.0)   Comments
---      --------   --------
286-16   12.3       My trusty 286
386SX-20 12.8       A friend's system; claims that sometimes it is 15
386DX-20 12.4       C&T, AMI, 2MB 80ns, interleaved, no wait states, no cache
386DX-25 15.5       Not the same system as above, but same coniguration

I was under the impression that DX boards (without cache) really scream.
I have heard claims of up to 24 SI, w/out cache.  What am I missing?
Either 1) I've tested out cheap DX boards, or 2) I'm comparing SI 5.0
to SI 4.5.  Someone please set me straight before I shell out $$$ for a DX.

(No, I am not running Unix, but I am running Windows [because I have to]).

__
Elliot Mednick (elliot@encore.com) |  This .signature file is undergoing
Encore Computer Corp.              |  remodeling for your convenience.
Marlborough, MA. 01752             |  Please pardon our appearance.

fdq@athena.mit.edu (Fred D Quintana) (04/10/91)

I just bought a 386 motherboard from ATronics International.  Here are the
specs:

	40Mhz
	up to 8 megs on board
	64k cache
	AMI Bios (dated 2/1/91)
	SIS chipset
	6 16 bit slots, 2 8 bit slots
	AMD 386-DXL CPU (Not Intel!)
	Cost:  $825

This board screams!  Norton SI (5.0) reports 42.1!

I would strongly recommend this board over a 386DX-25.  It only costs perhaps
$100-200 dollars more and it is fast!

Fred

| Fred D. Quintana                  \    Never put off till tomorrow what     |
| Internet: <fdq@athena.mit.edu>     \     you can avoid all together.        |
| UUCP:   mit-eddie!mit-athena!fdq    \                                       |

david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) (04/10/91)

There is a common misconception that 386's are faster than 286's, and that
486's are a lot faster than 386's, etc, etc, etc...

When running MS-DOS software the 286, 386sx, and 386DX are all about the
same speed (for the same clock speed).  Cached machines will generally
outperform non-cached machines (by 20-30% in 25mhz machines).

So why even bother with a 386sx-- why not stick with the 286?  Here is
the story...

If only MS-DOS software is used, a 286 is the best choice.

A 386sx will give you better memory managment, as well as multitasking and
enhanced-386 in Windows.  It will run normal 386 software, but slower than
a 386DX.

A 386DX is a good chioce because they dont make a 25mhz and 33mhz SX.  It
will also run 386 software signifigantly faster than an SX at the same
clock speed.

A 486 will give you floating point performance, and about 30-50% faster
overall when compared to a DX of equal clock speed.

So.  If all you are going to do is run Windows, and you can live with 16-20mhz
CPU's, then an SX is perfect.

If you are thinking that this performance curve (286=386sx=386dx) is all wrong
then you are right!  It's not that the CPU's are wrong, but that MS-DOS is
wrong-- since it places signifigant limitations on the program running.
On the average, a program that is re-compiled to run in 386-protected mode
will run twice as fast on the same machine!

Running 386-protected mode software, the line-up is more like:
	A 386dx is two-three times faster than an equivalent 286 program.
	386sx is about  30-40% slower than a 386dx.
	a 486 is TWICE as fast as a 386dx, 3-4 times faster in floating point.

The bottom line is that is PERFORMANCE is what you want-- then MS-DOS should
not be on your wish list.

--
David Kessner - david@kessner.denver.co.us            | do {
1135 Fairfax, Denver CO  80220  (303) 377-1801 (p.m.) |    . . .

c60b-1eq@e260-3e.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (04/10/91)

In article <14534@encore.Encore.COM> elliot@encore.com writes:
>Ok, so we have beaten to death the differences between a 386SX and a 386DX.
>What I would like to know is what to the big attraction of a DX which seems
>to cost $200 more (without cache).  What does the 32-bit interface buy you?
>Certainly not CPU performance.  I did some checking and got these SI (5.0)
>numbers:
>CPU      SI (5.0)   Comments
>---      --------   --------
>286-16   12.3       My trusty 286
>386SX-20 12.8       A friend's system; claims that sometimes it is 15
>386DX-20 12.4       C&T, AMI, 2MB 80ns, interleaved, no wait states, no cache
>386DX-25 15.5       Not the same system as above, but same coniguration

First of all--don't post Norton SI results as serious statistics.  Norton SI
is a very vague measurement of overall system performance, not the CPU's
performance.
If you're interested, a 20 MHz Model 70 tests 21.5 on Norton 4.0 SI.

>I was under the impression that DX boards (without cache) really scream.
>I have heard claims of up to 24 SI, w/out cache.  What am I missing?
>Either 1) I've tested out cheap DX boards, or 2) I'm comparing SI 5.0
>to SI 4.5.  Someone please set me straight before I shell out $$$ for a DX.

That depends on what you use your system for.  But if all you want is raw
power, get a 386/25 or 386/33.  I would also recommend an internal cache
of 64K.

+==========================================================================+
| Noam Mendelson   ..!agate!ucbvax!web!c60b-1eq | "I haven't lost my mind, |
| c60b-1eq@web.Berkeley.EDU                     |  it's backed up on tape  |
| University of California at Berkeley          |  somewhere."             |

tmurphy%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Thomas Murphy) (04/10/91)

A dx can but you a couple things....one is speed but this is a relative thing
and hard to measure  as it depends on memory, disc, and application.  I
think that for most people and even businesses that an SX will really fill
the bill and with the money you save you can buy the math chip or actually
have a head start on it....if you are really going to crunch numbers jump
to a 486 as it is cheaper than the 386/387 combo and faster too...
If you are contemplating going to os-2 or unix you really want 32 bits or
just want to toss money but I say an sx for most with plenty of memory and
a cookin hard-drive....it is really more the limiter of your system.

murph

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (04/10/91)

In article <14534@encore.Encore.COM> elliot@encore.com writes:
=Ok, so we have beaten to death the differences between a 386SX and a 386DX.
=What I would like to know is what to the big attraction of a DX which seems
=to cost $200 more (without cache).  What does the 32-bit interface buy you?
=Certainly not CPU performance.  I did some checking and got these SI (5.0)
=numbers:

Using SI to evaluate the performance of a computer is like using gas
mileage to evaluate the performance of a car!

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

jerry@gumby.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr9.235733.11567@kessner.denver.co.us> david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) writes:
>If you cant flame MS-DOS, who can you flame?          |    } while( jones);
        ^^^^

	People who can't spell???  :)

--
Jerry Gardner, NJ6A					Altos Computer Systems
UUCP: {sun|pyramid|sco|amdahl|uunet}!altos!jerry	2641 Orchard Parkway

tinyguy@cs.mcgill.ca (Yeo-Hoon BAE) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr10.160439.17824@mccc.edu> pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>Using SI to evaluate the performance of a computer is like using gas
>mileage to evaluate the performance of a car!
>
>Pete
>--

What exactly is a Landmark? It's probably another stupid meaningless
performance measurer, but it seems to give much favour to 486 machines
(relative to 386).

-TG

ben@val.com (Ben Thornton) (04/12/91)

c60b-1eq@e260-3e.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) writes:

>First of all--don't post Norton SI results as serious statistics.  Norton SI
>is a very vague measurement of overall system performance, not the CPU's
>performance.

It is also misleading to consider only raw CPU performance.  After
all it is the system as a whole that matters when you shop for a machine.
Norton's SI is just a number, but is is the only measurement of overall
performance that is popular enough to have statistical significance.

>+==========================================================================+
>| Noam Mendelson   ..!agate!ucbvax!web!c60b-1eq | "I haven't lost my mind, |
>| c60b-1eq@web.Berkeley.EDU                     |  it's backed up on tape  |
>| University of California at Berkeley          |  somewhere."             |
--
Ben Thornton             packet:  wd5hls@wd5hls.ampr.org
Video Associates       Internet:  ben@val.com

c60b-1eq@web-1g.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr11.204600.15805@val.com> ben@val.com (Ben Thornton) writes:
>c60b-1eq@e260-3e.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) writes:
>>First of all--don't post Norton SI results as serious statistics.  Norton SI
>>is a very vague measurement of overall system performance, not the CPU's
>>performance.
>It is also misleading to consider only raw CPU performance.  After
>all it is the system as a whole that matters when you shop for a machine.
>Norton's SI is just a number, but is is the only measurement of overall
>performance that is popular enough to have statistical significance.

True, but this thread of messages was concerning CPU's, not complete
systems.

--
+==========================================================================+

lbr@holos0.uucp (Len Reed) (04/12/91)

In article <14534@encore.Encore.COM> elliot@encore.com writes:
>Ok, so we have beaten to death the differences between a 386SX and a 386DX.
>What I would like to know is what to the big attraction of a DX which seems
>to cost $200 more (without cache).  What does the 32-bit interface buy you?
>Certainly not CPU performance.  I did some checking and got these SI (5.0)

>(No, I am not running Unix, but I am running Windows [because I have to]).

So what?  You're running *all* 16-bit software and you want to know
why having a a 32-bit data path doesn't buy you much?  Windows puts
the machine into proctected mode, but it doesn't use 32 bit mode.

As to the cache, it makes a huge difference even under DOS.  I have
a 33 Mhz DX with 64K cache.  It runs *far* faster than lower power
machines.

--
Len Reed
Holos Software, Inc.

andreww@uniwa.uwa.oz (Andrew John Williams) (04/13/91)

elliot@xenna.encore.com (Elliot Mednick) writes:

>to cost $200 more (without cache).  What does the 32-bit interface buy you?
>Certainly not CPU performance.  I did some checking and got these SI (5.0)
>numbers:

>CPU      SI (5.0)   Comments
>---      --------   --------
>286-16   12.3       My trusty 286
>386SX-20 12.8       A friend's system; claims that sometimes it is 15
>386DX-20 12.4       C&T, AMI, 2MB 80ns, interleaved, no wait states, no cache
>386DX-25 15.5       Not the same system as above, but same coniguration

>I was under the impression that DX boards (without cache) really scream.
>I have heard claims of up to 24 SI, w/out cache.  What am I missing?
>Either 1) I've tested out cheap DX boards, or 2) I'm comparing SI 5.0
>__
>Elliot Mednick (elliot@encore.com) |  This .signature file is undergoing
>Encore Computer Corp.              |  remodeling for your convenience.
>Marlborough, MA. 01752             |  Please pardon our appearance.

I have a 386DX/25, with an AMI bios and a C&T chipset, 80ns ram, 0WS.
Not sure if its interleaved (dont want to reboot in the middle of
reading news!) and SI gives me a Computing Index of 26.3. This is using
SI version 4.5. I think older versions of SI give very unrealistic
numbers- my system is certainly not 26.3 times as fast as an XT for most
things- more like 12 or so. I would guess the 386 numbers you have are
using the new version of SI, assuming it has been improved (I have never
tried it).
		Andrew Williams
		Physics Department,
		University of Western Australia.

	andrew@earwax.pd.uwa.oz.au  OR
	andreww@uniwa.uwa.oz.au  (note extra w).

nbeck@weber.ucsd.edu (Nathaniel Beck) (04/15/91)

My recollection (and it is often wrong) is that SX chips come in 16mh
and 20mh varieties. It is hard for me to see why anyone who would
settle for that clock speed would demand DX.

On the higher end, some friends who were thinking of buying 386 25mh
machines (with 387) found that the 486 25mh machines were a much
better buy (just a few hundred dollars more for a 50% performance
boost).

So it may be the case that the only 386 systems that will sell are
SX's, or else the price of DX's will drop enough to make the SX
irrelevant.

I guess Intel would like to make AMD's 386 venture an unpleasant
one.

Neal

--
Neal Beck
Dept of Politcal Science, UCSD

ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (04/15/91)

nbeck@weber.ucsd.edu (Nathaniel Beck) writes:

> I guess Intel would like to make AMD's 386 venture an unpleasant
> one.

Since AMD now has a 386/40mHz chip out, things will really start to heat
up.

--
                    halcyon!ralphs@seattleu.edu
  The 23:00 News and Mail Service - +1 206 292 9048 - Seattle, WA USA

whitney@reed.cs.unlv.edu (Lee Whitney) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr12.162615.13529@holos0.uucp>, lbr@holos0.uucp (Len Reed) writes:
)
) So what?  You're running *all* 16-bit software and you want to know
) why having a a 32-bit data path doesn't buy you much?  Windows puts
) the machine into proctected mode, but it doesn't use 32 bit mode.
)
Your statement is impratical and misleading.  First, the 386SX DOES have a        32 bit data path or else it would not be a 386!  It's bandwidth is only limited   across the bus, and since 90% of 386 buses are 16 bit (ISA), most DX systems would not realize a tremendous advantage over SX's when using 32-bit protected mode software.

A $200 cache may be worth a 25-30% performance increase, but the 5-10% increase of a DX over an SX with a 16 bit bus is probably not.

jones@acsu.buffalo.edu (terry a jones) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr21.203004.9909@unlv.edu> whitney@reed.cs.unlv.edu (Lee Whitney) writes:
>In article <1991Apr12.162615.13529@holos0.uucp>, lbr@holos0.uucp (Len Reed) writes:
>)
>) So what?  You're running *all* 16-bit software and you want to know
>) why having a a 32-bit data path doesn't buy you much?  Windows puts
>) the machine into proctected mode, but it doesn't use 32 bit mode.
>)
>Your statement is impratical and misleading.  First, the 386SX DOES have
>a 32 bit data path or else it would not be a 386!  It's bandwidth is only
>limited across the bus, and since 90% of 386 buses are 16 bit (ISA), most DX
>systems would not realize a tremendous advantage over SX's when using
>32-bit protected mode software.
>
>A $200 cache may be worth a 25-30% performance increase, but the 5-10%
>increase of a DX over an SX with a 16 bit bus is probably not.

	You are also confusing the issue somewhat.  The 80386DX system will
no doubt have a 32bit wide memory bus.  Granted, the ISA bus is only 16 bit,
but that is a real good reason not to hang memory out there in the form of
an expansion card.  Put it all on the motherboard if at all possible.  This
memory bus is separate and very different than the ISA bus.  In the case
of the 80386SX, the processor's memory accesses are 16 bits wide, period.
So the memory bandwidth of the DX is much greater than that of the SX without
even considering the cache benefits.  It really is a matter of cost, if you
have the money to spend, and are concerned about performance or are going
to run Unix, etc., go with the DX.  If you are on a budget, go with the SX.
The SX system will be cheaper since the cost of the CPU is lower, and the
cost of the motherboard will be cheaper since they only have to implement
the 16bit wide memory bus.

	Terry

Terry Jones   				{rutgers,uunet}!acsu.buffalo.edu!jones
SUNY at Buffalo ECE Dept.	  or: rutgers!ub!jones, jones@acsu.buffalo.edu

--

david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr21.203004.9909@unlv.edu> whitney@reed.cs.unlv.edu (Lee Whitney) writes:
>In article <1991Apr12.162615.13529@holos0.uucp>, lbr@holos0.uucp (Len Reed) writes:
>)
>) So what?  You're running *all* 16-bit software and you want to know
>) why having a a 32-bit data path doesn't buy you much?  Windows puts
>) the machine into proctected mode, but it doesn't use 32 bit mode.
>)
>Your statement is impratical and misleading.  First, the 386SX DOES have a        32 bit data path or else it would not be a 386!  It's bandwidth is only limited   across the bus, and since 90% of 386 buses are 16 bit (ISA), most DX systems would not realize a tremendous advantage over SX's when using 32-bit protected mode software.
>
>A $200 cache may be worth a 25-30% performance increase, but the 5-10% increase of a DX over an SX with a 16 bit bus is probably not.

Ahhh...  No.

The 386SX has an INTERNAL 32-bit data path, but a 16 bit external path.  It
also has 32-bit INTERNAL Address paths, but 24 bit EXTERNAL-- meaning that it
cannot address more than 16 meg of RAM...

The ISA bus has no baring on the performance of the CPU.  On ALL 386 (DX or SX)
systems the memory is not accessed over the ISA bus, but rather has it's own
'memory bus'.   The 16-bit nature of the ISA bus is just one reason-- the 8mhz
standard bus speed is the other.  So, since we are talking CPU speed rather
than I/O speed, we'll move on...

There are two very important issues here:  A)  The difference between 'MS-DOS
Programs' and Protected mode programs, and B)  The 16/32 bit EXTERNAL buss's.

If all you are doing is running 'normal MS-DOS' Programs then you are correct
in saying that a DX is about 10% faster than an SX...  But if you were running
more 32-bit software, I'd expect closer to 70-90% improvement since the
majority of your 'fetches' are 32 bits.

So...  If you are performance minded-- use a DX and run 32-bit, protected mode
software.  If you are budget minded, get an SX and run blah 'normal' software.

Also, if you notice...  Most of the 20mhz DX's are or have been discontinued,
so the choice is clearer.  16 or 20mhz machines are SX's, and 25-40mhz are
DX's.  If all you are running is 'normal' programs, the biggest speed boost
will be from clock speed...

--

In article <1991Apr23.000348.6644@kessner.denver.co.us> david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) writes:

| The ISA bus has no baring on the performance of the CPU.  On ALL 386 (DX or SX)
| systems the memory is not accessed over the ISA bus, but rather has it's own
| 'memory bus'.

  There are a large number of SX motherboards which only have 8MB on the
board. This is fine for DOS, but falls somewhat short for UNIX. The
expansion memory is then put on the ISA bus, with one total w/s at any
practical speed.

  People do run memory on the ISA bus, and cache makes a huge
difference.

  Also, all the early DX boards had a 4MB limit on the motherboard. This
system is running 8MB on the ISA bus, and it may be slow but it beats
paging!
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) (04/25/91)

In article <3787@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <1991Apr23.000348.6644@kessner.denver.co.us> david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) writes:
>  There are a large number of SX motherboards which only have 8MB on the
>board. This is fine for DOS, but falls somewhat short for UNIX. The
>expansion memory is then put on the ISA bus, with one total w/s at any
>practical speed.
>
>  People do run memory on the ISA bus, and cache makes a huge
>difference.
>
>  Also, all the early DX boards had a 4MB limit on the motherboard. This
>system is running 8MB on the ISA bus, and it may be slow but it beats
>paging!
>--
>bill davidsen - davidsen@sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
>    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
>"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward" -me

I would not reccomend running UNIX on an SX-- simply because of the memory
constraints.  8 meg is good for most things, but Motif or Openlook (Opengook?)
will page.  If a _cheap_ UNIX machine is the only priority then an SX is it,
but performance will greatly suffer.

I know some run RAM off of the ISA bus.  If that is the only choice, then
so be it-- otherwise it is stupid.

Most DX Motherboards have a 'proprietary RAM' slot enabling them to have large
amounts of RAM that wouldent ordinarily fit on the motherboard.  Current
486 motherboards hold anywhere from 16 meg to 96 meg ON THE MOTHERBOARD.

The SX boards are targeted tward the lower-end market, where MS-DOS dominates.
In addition, the SX CPU itself is targeted in the same fashon, where 16-bit
applicaions are the norm (and 32-bit applications are used, but not common).
In this market, 8 meg of RAM is more than enough.

--

snow@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr21.203004.9909@unlv.edu>, whitney@reed.cs.unlv.edu (Lee Whitney) writes:
> A $200 cache may be worth a 25-30% performance increase, but the 5-10%
> increase of a DX over an SX with a 16 bit bus is probably not.

Another issue to consider when deciding between a DX and an SX is the cost
of a floating-point coprocessor.  When I bought my current motherboard,
I could afford an 80386DX only or an 80386SX/80387SX combination.  I wasn't
sure at the time that I would need the coprocessor, but I'm glad I chose it,
since I've made heavy use of it these past few months.  Even now, I would
not be able to afford an 80387DX (spare cash has been going for memory.)

-ken

koch@motcid.UUCP (Clifton Koch) (04/25/91)

From article <1991Apr21.203004.9909@unlv.edu>, by whitney@reed.cs.unlv.edu (Lee Whitney):
-> In article <1991Apr12.162615.13529@holos0.uucp>, lbr@holos0.uucp (Len Reed) writes:
-> )
-> ) So what?  You're running *all* 16-bit software and you want to know
-> ) why having a a 32-bit data path doesn't buy you much?  Windows puts
-> ) the machine into proctected mode, but it doesn't use 32 bit mode.
-> )
-> Your statement is impratical and misleading.  First, the 386SX DOES have a        32 bit data path or else it would not be a 386!  It's bandwidth is only limited   across the bus, and since 90% of 386 buses are 16 bit (ISA), most DX systems would not realize a tremendous advantage over SX's when using 32-bit protected mode software.
->
-> A $200 cache may be worth a 25-30% performance increase, but the 5-10% increase of a DX over an SX with a 16 bit bus is probably not.

  The 386SX has an *internal* 32 bit bus.  Externally it's only 16 bit.

  You get more than a 5-10% increase.  The system memory where all your code you're running does not
reside on the crippled ISA bus.  It doesn't make much of difference when you're doing memory intensive
work on cards in the expansion slots (i.e. video).  The main reason I see for a DX over an SX is that
the DX's are available at higher clock speeds, especially now that the AMD 40 MHz versions are out.

... [uunet | mcdchg | gatech]!motcid!koch

c60b-1eq@e260-1a.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr24.234848.175@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu> snow@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu writes:
>In article <1991Apr21.203004.9909@unlv.edu>, whitney@reed.cs.unlv.edu (Lee Whitney) writes:
>> A $200 cache may be worth a 25-30% performance increase, but the 5-10%
>> increase of a DX over an SX with a 16 bit bus is probably not.
>Another issue to consider when deciding between a DX and an SX is the cost
>of a floating-point coprocessor.  When I bought my current motherboard,
>I could afford an 80386DX only or an 80386SX/80387SX combination.  I wasn't
>sure at the time that I would need the coprocessor, but I'm glad I chose it,
>since I've made heavy use of it these past few months.  Even now, I would
>not be able to afford an 80387DX (spare cash has been going for memory.)

It's not practical to buy a 386DX/387 combination.  A better buy would
be a 486, with its built in math coprocessor.

--
+==========================================================================+
| Noam Mendelson   ..!ucbvax!web!c60b-1eq       | "I haven't lost my mind, |

jay@gdx.UUCP (Jay A. Snyder) (05/04/91)

 whitney@reed.cs.unlv.edu (Lee Whitney) writes:

>Your statement is impratical and misleading.  First, the 386SX DOES have a        32 bit data path or else it would not be a 386!  It's bandwidth is only limited   across the bus, and since 90% of 386 buses are 16 bit (ISA), most DX systems would not realize a tremendous advantage over SX's when using 32-bit protected mode software.
>
>A $200 cache may be worth a 25-30% performance increase, but the 5-10% increase of a DX over an SX with a 16 bit bus is probably not.

the peripheral bus is not the concern.  The memory bus is.   The 386sx
only has  a 16bit path to the memory.

Jay A. Snyder                                    "Let Me Up!  I've had enough"
wa3wbu!gdx!jay@uunet.uu.net             GDX-BBS (717) 737-3249 2400/1200/300bd
uunet!wa3wbu!gdx!jay             Unix and MSDOS File areas + Xenix executables

burkey@duncan.cs.utk.edu (Michael Burkey) (05/07/91)

A 386SX does NOT have a 32 bit bus to memory, it is 16 bit just like
the 286 is. From an external standpoint, this thing is virtually a 286.
Internally it is 32 bit and acts like a 386DX. Intel is currently working
on plans (AMD also is for that matter) of coming out with a 386SX that is pin
compatible with a 286. Can we say good-bye 286??

M Burkey

cyang%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Cheng Yang) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May6.170707.27182@cs.utk.edu> burkey@duncan.cs.utk.edu (Michael Burkey) writes:

>A 386SX does NOT have a 32 bit bus to memory, it is 16 bit just like
>the 286 is. From an external standpoint, this thing is virtually a 286.
>Internally it is 32 bit and acts like a 386DX. Intel is currently working
>on plans (AMD also is for that matter) of coming out with a 386SX that is pin
>compatible with a 286. Can we say good-bye 286??

Do you mean it will be possible to just pull out our 286s from motherboards
and plug in 386SX?  That will be very interesting!  It seems that I can save
my 286 motherboard!

*	Ho capito, signor,si!........                                       *
*                                                                           *
*Cheng Yang				Home Address:                       *
*Department of Computer Science		808 East, 300 South, #3             *
*University of Utah			Salt Lake City, UT 84102            *
*E-Mail Address:cyang@peruvian.utah.edu	Tel: 801-322-1918                   *

In article <1991May7.093840.23795@hellgate.utah.edu> cyang%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Cheng Yang) writes:

| Do you mean it will be possible to just pull out our 286s from motherboards
| and plug in 386SX?  That will be very interesting!  It seems that I can save
| my 286 motherboard!

  But do you want to? Unless you have a 16 or 20 HMz 286 you are going
to be running a lot slower.

  BTW: I don't believe this rumor for an instant. If Intel intended to
do this they would have done it long ago and killed AMD's 286 business
dead. I believe that Intel will use every line they have to make 386 and
486, and adjust the price to sell them. Unless they could sell the chip
for as much as a 386 they would lose money, becuase it's not likely to
be any cheaper to make.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

gtephx (Wild Rider) (05/15/91)

	sorry, tried email, but (as usual) it bounced.  here's the message:

Date: Mon, 13 May 91 10:13:39 MDT
From: robertsw (Wild Rider)
To: gtephx!asuvax!cs.utexas.edu!usc!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!uakari.primate.wisc.edu!sdd.hp.com!hplabs!hpfcso!hpfcdj!hpfcjbv!jbv
Subject: Re: Why buy a DX over an SX?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware

	In article <34390002@hpfcjbv.HP.COM> you write:
>/ hpfcjbv:comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware / fdq@athena.mit.edu (Fred D Quintana)
>/  3:57 pm  Apr  9, 1991 /
>I just bought a 386 motherboard from ATronics International.  Here are the
>specs:
>
>	40Mhz
>	up to 8 megs on board
>	64k cache
>	AMI Bios (dated 2/1/91)
>	SIS chipset
>	6 16 bit slots, 2 8 bit slots
>	AMD 386-DXL CPU (Not Intel!)
>	Cost:  $825
>
>This board screams!  Norton SI (5.0) reports 42.1!
>
>I would strongly recommend this board over a 386DX-25.  It only costs perhaps
>$100-200 dollars more and it is fast!
>
>Fred

	ok, where did you get this "mother of all motherboards" :-) from?
	i mean, post the phone number, address, all that good stuff so others
	can order it, too.

	will it work in a standard ibm pc-xt chassis?  how much memory did
	it come with?  detail, details, pull-lease!

>--
>| Fred D. Quintana                  \    Never put off till tomorrow what     |
>| Internet: <fdq@athena.mit.edu>     \     you can avoid all together.        |
>| UUCP:   mit-eddie!mit-athena!fdq    \                                       |

	cheers,
	wr (wild rider)
--
Wallace Roberts, AG (formerly GTE) Communication Systems, Phoenix, AZ
UUCP: ...!{ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!zardoz!hrc | att}!gtephx!robertsw