[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] S-Video plug on some US TVs.

wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) (05/15/91)

This is properly not the place to ask the question, but since I do not really
know where to begin....

Does anyone know what the S-Video plug on the back of some TVs does?  I'm not
sure if it is specific to TVs in the US, or if it is worldwide.  I know it
supposedly gets better video signal than a composite video signal, and have
seen it in use when I've hooked up my laser disk player to a nice tv, but
what I want to know is what the pins do.  Or where should I look, and what
should I look for?

Wim
--

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May14.211021.21704@serval.net.wsu.edu> wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) writes:
>This is properly not the place to ask the question, but since I do not really
>know where to begin....

You're right .. it belongs in rec.video....

>Does anyone know what the S-Video plug on the back of some TVs does?  I'm not
>sure if it is specific to TVs in the US, or if it is worldwide.  I know it
>supposedly gets better video signal than a composite video signal, and have
>seen it in use when I've hooked up my laser disk player to a nice tv, but
>what I want to know is what the pins do.  Or where should I look, and what
>should I look for?

S-video transmits the luminance and chroma portions of a composite video
signal separately. A lot of the artifacts visible on TV screens are due
to filtering stages that separate the chroma/luma signals. Assuming that
you have a high-quality source (a laserdisc player is one) you might get
a slightly better signal using a S-video rather than a composite cable.
Many people notice no difference.

S-video is not confined to any particular country, brand, or type of
video source.

--
 Mike Schuster                                      |    CIS: 70346,1745
 NY Public Access UNIX:  ...cmcl2!panix!schuster    |    MCI Mail, GENIE: