[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Sound Cards

lopes@cogsci.ucsd.EDU (alann lopes) (03/01/91)

   Hi everyone, I'm looking for a sound card that will allow one
   to control Left and Right channels independently.  I need to
   send a stream of data to the left channel, but before this
   stream ends, I need to be able to send another stream to the
   right channel.  I've spoken with several companies and I have
   not found any with a product with such capabilities. Creative
   Labs plans to have such a board, but not for about a year.

   Can anyone suggest a product with such capabilities.

          Thanks -- alann

   P.S.  Has anyone heard of a product or company called MSound?
         The folks at Creative Labs suggested that I call them
         but had no phone number.  Any info would be appreciated.

   alann lopes:        alopes@ucsd.edu       -- internet
   Programmer/Analyst  lopes@cogsci.ucsd.edu -- internet
   (619) 534-7417      ALOPES@UCSD           -- bitnet
                       ...!ucsd!alopes       -- uucp

ezor@bnet.UUCP (Chris patton) (04/29/91)

        I have been considering purchasing a sound card, but I have never
seen one at work.  I know what they can do.  My question is what is the
major difference between the adlib and the soundblaster and is it worth
the extra money to buy the soundblaster card?????

Chris patton
ezor@bnet.UUCP
Link to the Beyond BBS	+1 812 339-5140		Member of the VBBSN

dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com (Danny Low) (05/03/91)

>        I have been considering purchasing a sound card, but I have never
>seen one at work.  I know what they can do.  My question is what is the
>major difference between the adlib and the soundblaster and is it worth
>the extra money to buy the soundblaster card?????

Both cards use the same FM synth chip to generate music. The SB has a
joystick port and a digital speech channel. The SB also has a 2 watt 8Ohm
amp built it. The stick port is very useful as that saves a slot. Otherwise
it's a matter of personal judgement whether the other features are worth
the extra money.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
	     HP NPCD   dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com

CCC_BALL@rzmain.rz.uni-ulm.de (Joerg Ballschmiter) (05/16/91)

In <XBZ511w164w@bnet> ezor@bnet.UUCP writes:

>         I have been considering purchasing a sound card, but I have never
> seen one at work.  I know what they can do.  My question is what is the
> major difference between the adlib and the soundblaster and is it worth
> the extra money to buy the soundblaster card?????

The major difference is, that the SOUNDBLASTER has stereo-sound,
and the AD-LIB only mono-sound. You can play sampled sounds with the
SOUNDBLASTER, too, which isnt possible with AD-LIB.
The SOUNDBLASTER has a possibility to advance to MIDI.(about 140 DM)

!         ccc_ball@dulruu51.bitnet     ccc_ball@rzmain.rz.uni-ulm.de         !
!     Joerg Ballschmiter  Gartenhalde 68  D-7900 ULM-Maehringen  GERMANY     !
!                         Chaos Computer Club ULM                            !

cg108dbd@icogsci1.ucsd.edu (Steve -Social Hacker) (05/16/91)

On 15 May 91 20:34:43 GMT,
CCC_BALL@rzmain.rz.uni-ulm.de (Joerg Ballschmiter) said:

Joerg> In <XBZ511w164w@bnet> ezor@bnet.UUCP writes:

>         I have been considering purchasing a sound card, but I have never
> seen one at work.  I know what they can do.  My question is what is the
> major difference between the adlib and the soundblaster and is it worth
> the extra money to buy the soundblaster card?????

Joerg> The major difference is, that the SOUNDBLASTER has stereo-sound,
Joerg> and the AD-LIB only mono-sound. You can play sampled sounds with the
Joerg> SOUNDBLASTER, too, which isnt possible with AD-LIB.
Joerg> The SOUNDBLASTER has a possibility to advance to MIDI.(about 140 DM)

Joerg> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joerg> !         ccc_ball@dulruu51.bitnet     ccc_ball@rzmain.rz.uni-ulm.de         !
Joerg> !     Joerg Ballschmiter  Gartenhalde 68  D-7900 ULM-Maehringen  GERMANY     !
Joerg> !                         Chaos Computer Club ULM                            !

The SoundBlaster is only stereo when using the (optional) CMS chips
that must be ordered from Creative Labs for $29.95.

In my opinion, they are NOT worth it.  It sounds like a toy cheap
musical keyboard to me.  The Adlib support is always far superior.

Basically, the amplifier in the SoundBlaster is two-channel, but the
Adlib part of the SoundBlaster and the digital playback channel are
both mono.

-Steve

--
}>> Steve Haehnichen <<{