[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Connor 3104 drive jumpers

kt4@prism.gatech.EDU (Ken Thompson) (05/07/91)

	I am trying to install a 2nd connor 3104 100 MB IDE hard disk on my
386 machine. Unfortunately I do not have documentation on the drive
jumpers. The drive has 4 jumpers labelled as follows:

	___
        HSP
	_
	C/D   - this is drive select

	___
        DSP

	ACT

I have gotten the host adapter to recognize that drive d: is on the bus and
attempt to access it but it does not work. I checked out the drive and it
works as c:. According to my host adapter docs, nothing needs to be changed
on it. Any info would be appreciated. Please reply directly.

		Thanks,

			Ken

--
Ken Thompson  GTRI, Ga. Tech, Atlanta Ga. 30332 Internet:!kt4@prism.gatech.edu
uucp:...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!kt4

ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (05/08/91)

kt4@prism.gatech.EDU (Ken Thompson) writes:

> 	___
>         HSP
> 	_
> 	C/D   - this is drive select
>
> 	___
>         DSP
>
> 	ACT

> I have gotten the host adapter to recognize that drive d: is on the bus and
> attempt to access it but it does not work. I checked out the drive and it
> works as c:. According to my host adapter docs, nothing needs to be changed
> on it. Any info would be appreciated. Please reply directly.

To set up as Drive 0, jumper HSP, CD, and DSP (ACT is for the LED, I think).
Then set the second drive with NO jumpers.  The first action enables the
Conner as a master drive and the second as a slave.  You're on your own to
get the LED thing right.  It appears that the first partition on the second
drive will become D, with the rest following the last partition on the first
drive.

--
          Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
                       halcyon!ralphs@seattleu.edu

alz@tc.fluke.COM (Al Weiss) (05/10/91)

In article <28348@hydra.gatech.EDU> kt4@prism.gatech.EDU (Ken Thompson) writes:
>	I am trying to install a 2nd connor 3104 100 MB IDE hard disk on my
>386 machine. Unfortunately I do not have documentation on the drive jumpers.
> . . .
>Any info would be appreciated. Please reply directly.

Here is info for the cp3044 which should be close to your 3104.  This is
copied without permission from the Conner manual:

HSP, when jumpered, connectes the -HOST SLV/ACT signal on the interface to
ground for systems that require the slave drive to provide -SLAVE PRESENT
signal in a two-drive system.

C/D is the address jumper. When jumpered, the master (or C drive) is selected.
When open, the slave (or D drive) is selected.

DSP, when jumpered, indicates to the master drive that a slave is present. In
a two-drive system, this jumper option must be installed in the master, or C
drive.

The last jumper, ACT, connects the -ACTIVE signal to the -HOST SLV/ACT signal
on the interface.  This signal provides tha capability to drive an external
LED. An external current limiting resistor is required.

As an alternative, an LED may be connected between J4, pins 1 and 2.  This
would provide both an open collector drive signal and a current limiting
resistor connected to +5V respectively.

The following table shows what the jumper settings whould be for various
system configurations.

		1 drive		2 drive master	2 drive slave
ACT		J		note 1		note 1
C/D		J		J		NJ
HSP		NJ		NJ		note 2
DSP		NJ		J		NJ

note 1: In a two-drive system, it is possible to drive one LED with both
drives.  An external current limiting resistor is required.

note2: If the drive is connected to a host that reauires that the signal
-DRIVE SLAVE PRESENT be supplied from the slave drive via the interface signal
-HOST SLV/ACT, then this jumper must be installed.  If this jumper is
installed, the ACT jumper must not be installed because the jumpers are
mutually exclusive.

--
Al Weiss                   alz@tc.fluke.com                   206-356-5252
John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc. MS-269  PO Box 9090  Everett, WA 98206-9090  USA

varma@emperor.scs.com (Devadas Varma) (05/17/91)

I have a Conner 3204 (200M) IDE drive which I inherited with no doc. Could
anyone please send mail about the info I need to put in the AT CMOS Setup?
(No. of heads/ cylinders/ sectors etc.). I did input some arbitrary (but
seemingly logical) combinations and it works, but shows up as less than
(about 194M) 200 M total space.

Thanks