[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] PC/AT Aftermarket Keyboards

david@bdt.com (David Beckemeyer) (05/14/91)

I'm in the market for a new keyboard for my AT clone.  I want one
with the separate cursor keys and maybe even the extra bank of
function keys.

The prices seem to vary a great deal.  I've seen some as low as
$30 and others as high as $150.  Are they really that different?
What brands work well?  I want something tough, reliable, and with
a good feel to the keys.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
--
David Beckemeyer (david@bdt.COM)	| "Adios amigos.  And, as they say when
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| the boys are scratching the bad ones,

jamaass@bluemoon.uucp (Jeffrey A. Maass) (05/15/91)

david@bdt.com (David Beckemeyer) writes:

> I'm in the market for a new keyboard for my AT clone.  I want one
> with the separate cursor keys and maybe even the extra bank of
> function keys.
>
> The prices seem to vary a great deal.  I've seen some as low as
> $30 and others as high as $150.  Are they really that different?

YES! YES! YES! The $30 keyboards are best used to beat vicious
dogs over the head when walking in poor neighborhoods: certainly
not for data entry! Better to be forced to use a mouse...

Go to your local store and pound on  few different keyboards.
I "grew up" on true-blue IBM AT keyboard, and I'm fairly hard to
please. I find that I generally like the Northgate OmniKey 102: it
has a positive "Click" feedback and not the typical "mushy" feel
of most of the keyboards on the market.

Put your fingers on every keyboard you see for a week or so, and
find the feel you like. Don't scrimp: you'll regret it dearly!

Jeff Maass                   Amateur Radio: K8ND (@ W8CQK)
Powell OH (NW of Columbus)         Netmail: jamaass@bluemoon.uucp
                                   Ma Bell: (614) 873-3234

oneel@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (05/17/91)

In article <m5yy22w164w@bluemoon.uucp> jamaass@bluemoon.uucp (Jeffrey A. Maass) writes:

   david@bdt.com (David Beckemeyer) writes:

   > I'm in the market for a new keyboard for my AT clone.  I want one
   > with the separate cursor keys and maybe even the extra bank of
   > function keys.
   >
   > The prices seem to vary a great deal.  I've seen some as low as
   > $30 and others as high as $150.  Are they really that different?

   YES! YES! YES! The $30 keyboards are best used to beat vicious
   dogs over the head when walking in poor neighborhoods: certainly
   not for data entry! Better to be forced to use a mouse...

   Go to your local store and pound on  few different keyboards.
   I "grew up" on true-blue IBM AT keyboard, and I'm fairly hard to
   please. I find that I generally like the Northgate OmniKey 102: it
   has a positive "Click" feedback and not the typical "mushy" feel
   of most of the keyboards on the market.

   Put your fingers on every keyboard you see for a week or so, and
   find the feel you like. Don't scrimp: you'll regret it dearly!

Well, with 10**1000 people reading this, you knew there was going to
be one who disagreed.  I type all day on an assortment of keyboards
and am happiest typing on the home system with it's $34.95 keyboard.
Mine came from the local Compu-USA, but I bet if I went back now (a
month later) it would be a different mfg, but same price.  It may not
hold up, time will tell on that.  I do agree that one should go and
bang on as many as the computer store has.

bruce
--
Bruce O'Neel              oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC/STX/Code 664

mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Meir) (05/17/91)

In article <m5yy22w164w@bluemoon.uucp> jamaass@bluemoon.uucp (Jeffrey A. Maass) writes:
>david@bdt.com (David Beckemeyer) writes:
>
>> I'm in the market for a new keyboard for my AT clone.  I want one
>> with the separate cursor keys and maybe even the extra bank of
>> function keys.
>>
>> The prices seem to vary a great deal.  I've seen some as low as
>> $30 and others as high as $150.  Are they really that different?
>
>YES! YES! YES! The $30 keyboards are best used to beat vicious
>dogs over the head when walking in poor neighborhoods: certainly
>not for data entry! Better to be forced to use a mouse...
>
>Go to your local store and pound on  few different keyboards.
>I "grew up" on true-blue IBM AT keyboard, and I'm fairly hard to
>please. I find that I generally like the Northgate OmniKey 102: it
>has a positive "Click" feedback and not the typical "mushy" feel
>of most of the keyboards on the market.
>
>Put your fingers on every keyboard you see for a week or so, and
>find the feel you like. Don't scrimp: you'll regret it dearly!

I would like a *good* keyboard without clicks.  Anyone know which is a high
quality capacitive type keyboard for my AT?  how about recommendations on
a high-quality motherboard?  A case?
:-)
Thanks!

* * * * * * * * ======================= mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu