[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] BUG! Turbo Debugger for Windows

cyang%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Cheng Yang) (05/13/91)

Hi.  I am running Borland C++ on my 286 clone.  It has a Paradise 16-bit
VGA card.  After I installed window drivers for Paradise card (by copying
the PVGA480.DRV to c:\windows\system\vga.drv)  (so thatI can have 256 colors
in 640x480), I started window in standard mode.  Then I ran
"Turbo Debugger for Windows" in Windows 3.0.  Everything was fine then.
But after I exitted Turbo Debugger for Windows, I had a big problem with the
display.  The display was screwed  up.  It seems it has sync problem, and
the Turbo Debugger won't restore the display parameters for windows 3.

I have the same problem when I run in 800x600 and 1024x768 mode.

However, if I run window 3 using the original VGA driver provided by window 3,
(only 16 colors), everything is fine.

Does anybody know what is happening there?  Or does anybody have the
same problem as I have?  Is this a bug in Turbo Debugger?  Or this is a bug
in paradise drivers?

*	Ho capito, signor,si!........                                       *
*                                                                           *
*Cheng Yang				Home Address:                       *
*Department of Computer Science		808 East, 300 South, #3             *
*University of Utah			Salt Lake City, UT 84102            *
*E-Mail Address:cyang@peruvian.utah.edu	Tel: 801-322-1918                   *

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) (05/14/91)

As far as I know, the Turbo Debugger for Windows manual states that TDW
will not work with ANY super-VGA modes.  Period.

Brian

thoger@solan.unit.no (Terje Th|gersen) (05/15/91)

In article <28503@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:

   As far as I know, the Turbo Debugger for Windows manual states that TDW
   will not work with ANY super-VGA modes.  Period.

   Brian

There's a little addendum :  ..will not work in ANY super-VGA modes
unless you have two monitors and install tdw to use the second
display.  (Period. :-))

Regards,
  -Terje
thoger@solan.unit.no       |                 Institute of Physical Chemistry
THOGER AT NORUNIT.BITNET   | Div. of Computer Assisted Instrumental Analysis

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (05/17/91)

In article <THOGER.91May14190407@lise7.solan.unit.no> thoger@solan.unit.no (Terje Th|gersen) writes:
>In article <28503@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
>

>   As far as I know, the Turbo Debugger for Windows manual states that TDW
>   will not work with ANY super-VGA modes.  Period.
>
>   Brian
>
>There's a little addendum :  ..will not work in ANY super-VGA modes
>unless you have two monitors and install tdw to use the second
>display.  (Period. :-))

TDW may screw up the screen using ANY non-windows supplied drivers, whether
you have a second monitor or not. ((PERIOD.. :-) :-).

I use a V7 Fastwrite VGA in 800 x 600 mode. I also do my debugging on a
monochrome monitor, and TDW STILL messes up my VGA display. It is not too bad,
just a loss of color. I have accidentally invoked some magical combination
of things that has brought the colors back without re-starting windows, but
haven't tracked it doen yet.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

daveg@prowler.clearpoint.com (Dave Goldblatt) (05/17/91)

-=> On 16 May 91 23:50:18 GMT, poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) said:

RP> TDW may screw up the screen using ANY non-windows supplied drivers, whether
RP> you have a second monitor or not. ((PERIOD.. :-) :-).

RP> I use a V7 Fastwrite VGA in 800 x 600 mode. I also do my debugging on a
RP> monochrome monitor, and TDW STILL messes up my VGA display. It is not too bad,
RP> just a loss of color. I have accidentally invoked some magical combination
RP> of things that has brought the colors back without re-starting windows, but
RP> haven't tracked it doen yet.

Are you using the latest V7 drivers?  That might be part of the problem.

I use TDW with a second monitor while my primary is running in 1024x768x256
(Tsueng 4000 chipset), without any problems whatsoever.

Well, I can't use ctrl-alt-sysreq, but Borland is (hopefully! :-) looking into
that.  {and yes, I know the workarounds, but it doesn't work in standard mode
or with the windebug.386 driver either}

-dg-
--
"Look, folks, you can't save everyone. |  Dave Goldblatt [daveg@clearpoint.com]
  Just try not to be living next to    |  Software Engineering (Subsystems)