[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Perstor HDC vs. 386/33

jerry@polygen.uucp (Jerry Shekhel) (05/14/91)

Hello.  I'm having a hardware problem I can't quite pin down.  I've been
using a Perstor hard drive controller to format my Maxtor 2190 to 277MB
(the normal MFM capacity is 152MB).  It worked fine in my 16MHz 386SX for
several months.  I have just replaced the SX motherboard with a 33MHz DX,
and I'm having the following problem.

After the machine has been on for about 15-20 minutes, I begin to have
problems with rebooting.  Ctrl-Alt-Del causes the machine to lose video
output, and after it spins the drives, the motherboard emits two beeps and
halts.  If I then press the hardware reset switch, it doesn't get anywhere;
there is one long high-pitched beep followed by eight lower, shorter beeps.

Now, the weird part:  No matter how long the machine has been on, I can
always reboot fine if I temporarily switch down to non-turbo mode (25MHz).
Even weirder: the whole problem goes away if I replace the Perstor with an
old MFM controller (WD1003-WA2).  On the other hand, if I put the Perstor
into a different machine (8MHz 286), there are no problems there, either.
So I can't pin down whether the problem is with the motherboard or the
controller.  Can anyone help?
--
+-------------------+----------------------+---------------------------------+
| JERRY J. SHEKHEL  | POLYGEN CORPORATION  | When I was young, I had to walk |

kai@kaiki.toppoint.de (Kai Voelcker) (05/19/91)

jerry@polygen.uucp (Jerry Shekhel) writes:

> Now, the weird part:  No matter how long the machine has been on, I can
> always reboot fine if I temporarily switch down to non-turbo mode (25MHz).

Maybe there are timing problems with the AT-Bus. Increment the waites for
the 16-bit access in the extended cmos setup. I had this problem with my
video card but this also applies to the controller card.
 | Kai Voelcker, Kappelner Str 18, D-2300 Kiel 1, voice: +49 431 335605 |
 | kai@kaiki.toppoint.de    interests: 386asm, c, pascal; OR algorithms |
 |   >>>  polite notice: I have to pay for incoming mail. Thanks  <<<   |