[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Can Seagate RLL controller

toma@swsrv1.cirr.com (Tom Armistead) (05/19/91)

In article <00948C91.48D5E120@vms.csd.mu.edu> 5716zhengy@vms.csd.mu.edu writes:
>Seagate ST11R (8 bit RLL controller) allows you to entry the number of sectorsper cylinder when you do low level format. If you entry 17, it is the same as
>a MFM controller and it works. Does any one try this before and is it reliableto use it as a MFM controller?

If you go with an MFM controller, you'll loose about 30% of you disk space.
I've been running a 40meg RLL on and MFM controller (formatted to about 28meg)
for a couple of years with no problems...

Tom
--
Tom Armistead - Software Services - 2918 Dukeswood Dr. - Garland, Tx  75040
toma@swsrv1.cirr.com                {egsner,letni,ozdaltx,void}!swsrv1!toma