[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] simple floppy questio

"bradley grigor" <bradley.grigor@canrem.uucp> (05/20/91)

  On 05-19-91 at 2:21am, Shane Kesterke wrote to All:

SK>Here's a simple question that I've never gotten a straight answer on
SK>in all the time I've been exposed to computers. When a floppy drive accesses
SK>the disk the budy light always stays on for about 2 seconds after it's
SK>done accessing. Is it safe to pull the disk out during this time or is
SK>it better just to wait till the busy light turns off?

If you know that the software is no longer reading/writing the
disk, then it is safe to remove the diskette.  In fact, some
high-performance backup programs (e.g. Fastback) assume that you
WILL remove the diskette as soon as the program tells you to,
even if the light is still on.

If you don't know, it may be better to wait.  If you pull the
diskette out while the software is reading/writing, what SHOULD
happen is DOS will detect the action and give you the Abort,
Retry, Fail? message.  If you put the diskette back in and press
R, everything resumes normally.  BUT, I do know of cases where
there was data corruption, e.g. pulling out the diskette during a
DISKCOPY.

...bag   Newmarket, Ontario, Canada | RelayNet: ->CRS (Public Key: 7596)
UUCP: canrem!bradley.grigor | Internet: bradley.grigor%canrem@lsuc.on.ca
---
 ? DeLuxe? 1.1 #4613 ? Don't worry: the answer's at the back of the book.
--
Canada Remote Systems.  Toronto, Ontario
NorthAmeriNet Host