[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Question about memory check during boot...

david@vlsisj.uucp (David Hsu) (05/18/91)

...and a question about XCMOS.  I have a 386DX with an AMI
bios, and the memory check has just slowed down by at least
a factor of 2.  Also, I just noticed a checksum error in
the XCMOS; saving the XCMOS settings (without changes) cured
this but not the slow mem. check.  Are these related?  Any
ideas?  Thanks in advance for any help!

Dave Hsu ({...}!decwrl!vlsisj!david, david@compass-da.com)

traub@rtf.bt.co.uk (Michael Traub) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May17.190001.7785@vlsisj.uucp> david@vlsisj.uucp (David Hsu) writes:
>...and a question about XCMOS.  I have a 386DX with an AMI
>bios, and the memory check has just slowed down by at least
>a factor of 2.  Also, I just noticed a checksum error in
>the XCMOS; saving the XCMOS settings (without changes) cured
>this but not the slow mem. check.  Are these related?  Any
>ideas?  Thanks in advance for any help!
>
>Dave Hsu ({...}!decwrl!vlsisj!david, david@compass-da.com)

I think you may find an option in your extended CMOS setup
thich allows you to change your RAM access mode, at least
that's what we have on our 386's and I noticed it more
than doubled the RAM test speed at boot time.

On the subject of AMI BIOS's can anyone help me with the
following? I have an EISA 486/25 with an AMI BIOS giving
the following problems:

1.	The first 2 Mb of RAM test quite quickly but
then the next 10 test at about half that rate. All RAM
is SIMMs direct on the motherboard. Under QEMM all the RAM
seems to have the same speed.

2.	When running DOS, Norton's SI reports only 639k
of RAM rather than 640k. It seems the BIOS has nicked the
top 1k of RAM. The BIOS does not seem to set up the PS/2
style XBIOS pointers so that QEMM can relocate this
1k of RAM and then give me 736k using the VIDRAM
utility. Is there any way round this?

AMI are you out there ???????????????????????

Michael Traub
BT Customer Systems, Brighton Systems Centre. traub@rtf.bt.co.uk