[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Replacing ISA with EISA

bmarsh@cod.NOSC.MIL (William C. Marsh) (05/21/91)

I'm planning on replacing my old 12Mhz 286 with a new motherboard in the
near future.  Since EISA motherboards are coming down in price, I would
like to get more information about EISA and their physical size.

Does anyone have any experiance replacing an ISA motherboard with an EISA
motherboard?  I need to know if a standard tower case will accept the EISA
motherboard and cards.  I know 'electrically' ISA cards will work, but will they
fit in the case I have?

Has anyone had much experiance with EISA motherboards?  I've heard a
rumor of a bug in the Intel EISA chip set.  Is there anything to this
rumor, and how would it effect system performance?

Please send email, and I'll be happy to summarize anything I find out.

Thanks in Advance!

Bill
--
Bill Marsh, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA
{arpa,mil}net: bmarsh@cod.nosc.mil

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (05/22/91)

bmarsh@cod.NOSC.MIL (William C. Marsh) writes:
>Has anyone had much experiance with EISA motherboards?  I've heard a
>rumor of a bug in the Intel EISA chip set.  Is there anything to this

Bugs in the Intel EISA chip set? My, what a vicious, nasty rumor...