Newsgroups: net.travel
Subject: Wanted:  Info on Hawaii
Date: Thu, 22-Mar-84 14:44:15 EST

I am planning a trip to Hawaii in April.  Do you have any suggestions
for me?  It will be my first time.

	Rob Wood (decvax!genrad!rob)

Date: Fri, 23 Mar 84 08:35:25 est
Subject: Hawaii Hotels

Dorothy and I stayed last time at the Holiday Inn Makai at the *edge* of
the Waikiki Beach area, but our travel agent told us they had been bought
by another firm and were remodeling now, so we couldn't stay there in April.
Our daughter called the Century 21 agent in Honolulu, and he found us a
condo that rents for $150 a week, plus phone and a $25 clean-up fee when
you leave.  I think one of the most beautiful hotels in Oahu is the
Sheraton on the north side of the island.

Date: Fri, 23 Mar 84 10:51:11 est
Subject: Re: Wanted:  Info on Hawaii

Do not, under any circumstance, miss the BIG ISLAND!
The volcanoes, the parks, the black sand beaches, the lack of
people, the wild bamboo, the skiing, the crystal clear waters, the
lush rainforests, the huge falls (Akaka and Rainbow), the cheap and
delicious restaraunts, the tropical fish tank type fish, the air,
the lava flows.....Geez,  I really want to go back..

Date: Thu, 22 Mar 84 15:59:12 est
Subject: Hawaii

There are many ethnic restaurants in Honolulu: Thai, Indian, *real* Japanese,
you name it.  You can have a different style of food every lunch and dinner for
weeks on end.  There is a particularly beautiful restaurant called The Willows.
It is an out-door restaurant, though there are canopies in case of rain.  It is laid out along the sides of a brook.  There are some fancy local drinks, like Blue Hawaiians, but in my opinion they are pricey and not very special.

Waikiki Beach is nice, but the approaches to it are just like Coney Island of
40 years ago.  The sidewalks are lined with *very* aggressive souvenir sales-
people.  The Mauna Loa (spell?) shopping center is well worth a look because of
the pools of carp that divide the pedestrian walkways.

Take the bus ride around the island of Oahu.  It is run by the ordinary
public transit system.  The payment of one fare gets you around the whole island
and the trip lasts about 3 hours.  If you want to pop for two fares, get off at
the Sheraton Hotel on the northern edge of the island where they have a beautiful view of the ocean, and an excellent, reasonably-priced buffet lunch.

If you are willing to spend about $150 per person per day, the week-long cruise
around the Islands operated by the American-Hawaiian steamship company is well
worth-while.  Dorothy and I took it several years ago.  It calls at several
islands, giving you full days for sight-seeing, either by tour bus or rented
car.  Car rentals are quite cheap by mainland standards.  The cruises leave
Honolulu about 6 PM Saturday afternoon and return about 9 AM Saturday morning.
The ships are the Independence and the Constitution, formerly in the New York
to Genoa service of the American Export Line.  They are *real* ocean-going
ships, each about 600 feet long.

The Island of Kauai is considered the most beautiful.  There is a spectacular
canyon in the middle.  The "big" Island of Hawaii has the volcano, which is
really fascinating.  You can walk across the crater if the lava isn't
flowing that day.  The stench of sulfur can be almost overwhelming, though.
Also on Hawaii there is a very unusual beach of black sand, created as the
waves erode ancient lava flows.

Back on Oahu, Sunset Beach is great for surfing.  And there is a beach about
ten miles northeast from Honolulu where you can rent snorkeling equipment and
enjoy relatively quiet swimming since the reefs make a natural breakwater.

Bon Voyage.

Just saw your article in net.travel.  I'm going to Hawaii May 2nd.  It will
be my first time too.  I'm really looking forward to it.  I'm going for
a week to Oahu.  I got a cheap deal with American Airlines, a charter called
Hawaiian Fantasy.  If you haven't made your arrangements yet you might want
to look into it.  Although I think it will be booked up for April because
we tried to go the last week in April and it was full.  My friend's sister
lived on Oahu for a year and she told me that there is plenty to do and
see.  I will be talking to her before I go for good beaches, restaurants, etc.

Date: Fri, 23 Mar 84 13:08:05 est

Waikiki is a very busy, very touristy area.  The streets are crowded and
the shops expensive.  The beach is beautiful if you can see the sand.
I don't care for Waikiki,  but that's where all the hotels are, so you
needn't try to stay elsewhere.

On the island of Oahu, there are lot's of things to do.  Go snorkeling
at Hanauma Bay -- equipment rentals abound in Waikiki.  Definitely visit
the Iolani Palace downtown, and the Bishop Museum for Polynesian anthropology.
Drive around the north shore of the island, stopping of course for shave ice
in the little town of Haleiwa. (Shave ice is like a snow cone, but the ice
is shaved very finely, rather than crushed.)  The dinner cruises are fun,
although rather hokey.

At your first opportunity, go to Honolulu Bookstore (there are several)
and look at the books about Hawaii.  There is lots of interesting stuff,
including books about hiking trails that are hard to find on the mainland.
This could give you as many interesting ideas as the Waikiki Beach Press
(tourist throwaway newspaper) does.

Pick another island and spend a few days there.  Kauai has beautiful beaches,
canyons, and rain forest.  Maui has Haleakala crater (get to the top for
sunrise, spend a day hiking through (wear tough shoes)),  the town of
Hana and the seven "sacred" pools on a treacherous road, and the swinging
resort town of Lahaina.  The Big Island has volcanoes.  You can make good
arrangements for a trip to a neighbor island from the mainland or from
Oahu.

Eat lots of Chinese, Japanese and Hawaiian food.  The Poi Bowl in
Ala Moana shopping center is the easiest place for Hawaiian, although
Ono Hawaiian Food is better.

Never leave anything of value in your car, and be careful where you
go at night, because Hawaii is not a paradise.

Be sure to check what you got with your package (if you have one).  You will
probably want a car the whole time you are there,  but most packages don't
do this automatically.

Tune in station KCCN on your AM radio to get into the local culture.
You may hear of authentic cultural events that wouldn't be listed in
the tourist advertisements.

			    Be there!  Aloha

Date: 26 Mar 84 15:27:04 CST (Mon)

Check into a visit to Kauai.  It is a beautiful place
and not too overrun with tourists.  It is particularly
good if you enjoy hiking.

Date: Mon, 26 Mar 84 23:32:24 pst

Rob,

Per your request for info on Hawaii over the net:

I went to Maui last April (and am returning this year) and
had the time of my life. The island of Maui is less traveled,
thus less populated with people wearing bermuda shorts down to
their knees. In my opinion, outside of San Francisco, it is
tTHE most beautiful spot on earth. Plenty of things to do,
drink, and enjoy......

A possible suggestion would be:

Fly from Boston to San Francisco and stay a few nights.
You can fly from SF to Maui direct fro about $350 round trip.
Stay at Napili Shores, just 5 minutes north of Kaanapalli,
which is the huge tourist resort. At Napili, you will get your
oun condo (kitchen and everything), be 20 feet from a private
beach where you can snorkel, and 10 feet from a bar. What could
be better? Napili is about $65.00 per night, but well worth it.

I've been to every island in the chain, and I still think Maui
is with out a doubt the best. It will blow the Bahamas away too!

The name of the agency that has great prices on airlines, and
Napili shores is called Suntrips of California. Sorry, I
don't have the number. The plane is a charter jet, which
means that everyone on the plane is going to Maui also. That
in turn, means that for the 5 hour flight, everyone has a
GREAT time. None of the usual airline BS.

Hope this is some help. Again, my vote is for Maui!