[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] ATI 8514/Ultra

tanida@forseti.css.gov (Tom Tanida) (05/18/91)

Has anybody had any experience with the new ATI 8514/Ultra card?  The
magazine ad I read about it claimed it was up to 5 times faster than
even a TI 34010 equipped card.  Plus VGA, XGA register level
compatibility- all for only $595 list (which translates to < $350
actual retail value :-) ).  I'm also interested in opinions with this
card with Windows 3.0, or graphics intensive games (e.g. Wing Commander).

Thanks,
-Tom
tanida@esosun.css.gov

lair@ellis.uchicago.edu (Scott A. Laird) (05/18/91)

In article <717@esosun.UUCP> tanida@esosun.css.gov (Tom Tanida) writes:
>Has anybody had any experience with the new ATI 8514/Ultra card?  The
>magazine ad I read about it claimed it was up to 5 times faster than
>even a TI 34010 equipped card.  Plus VGA, XGA register level
>compatibility- all for only $595 list (which translates to < $350
>actual retail value :-) ).  I'm also interested in opinions with this
>card with Windows 3.0, or graphics intensive games (e.g. Wing Commander).
>
>Thanks,
>-Tom
>tanida@esosun.css.gov

First, I don't believe it's _register_ compatible with the XGA, just the
8514/A.  The XGA emulation is in software.

Second, while not having seen it personally (give me a month...) several
magazines have discussed it, and it appears to be just about as fast as
they say it is, but has a few BIOS problems that are still being ironed out.
They may very well be fixed by now, since PC Magazine reviewed it over a
month ago, and must have had the card at least a month before that.  The
driver software for the hardware fonts in Windows was also a little weak
at that time.  (For those who don't know, that card is capable of scaling
and anti-aliasing fonts in hardware, 4000 chars/sec was the figure I saw
on one of the fliers they sent out last summer, but I'm not sure what
it actually can do)

As far as Wing Commander, it shouldn't make a difference.  This is another
standard that a program has to try to support, or the card will make no
difference.  The good thing is that most software that can use it already
has a driver for is, since it is register compatible with IBM's 8514/A,
which has been around for several years.  I know that Word Perfect and Windows
both support the 8514/A, as have Borland languages since, I think, Turbo C
1.5.

Also, as far as price, the only decent price I've seen so far was, I think,
about $395 with 512k and VGA.  The list cost was an extra $200 for 1 Mb of RAM,
so it should be ~$500.

If anyone has actually tried one for a period of time, please post (or e-mail)
I suspect quite a few people are interested.  Thanks.

--
Scott A. Laird            |  Any semblance of the above to anything is purely
lair@midway.uchicago.edu  |  coincidental, as it was the result of an infinite

yon%smltalk.cbm.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com (David A. Yon) (05/20/91)

> In article <717@esosun.UUCP> tanida@esosun.css.gov (Tom Tanida) writes:
> >Has anybody had any experience with the new ATI 8514/Ultra card?  The
> >magazine ad I read about it claimed it was up to 5 times faster than
> >even a TI 34010 equipped card.  Plus VGA, XGA register level
> >compatibility- all for only $595 list (which translates to < $350
> >actual retail value :-) ).  I'm also interested in opinions with this
> >card with Windows 3.0, or graphics intensive games (e.g. Wing Commander).
>
> If anyone has actually tried one for a period of time, please post (or
e-mail)
> I suspect quite a few people are interested.  Thanks.

Well, I have a 33Mhz 386 running Window 3.0, and I expect the card to arrive
tomorrow or Wednesday (5/20 or 5/21).  I've already run the PC Magazine
Windows Benchmark on my system with the ATI VGA Wonder (v3.0 BIOS), and I
plan to do that first thing when I get the 8514/Ultra.  I'll post my initial
impressions later in the week.

At the very least I am hoping for a Windows setup that has a nice crisp
feel when running 1024x768x256 (right now the 800x600x256 driver is molasses,
even on my new 386!).

David Yon
yon%smltalk.cbm.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com
yon@world.std.com

lwb@pensoft.uucp (Lance Bledsoe) (05/21/91)

In article <717@esosun.UUCP> tanida@esosun.css.gov (Tom Tanida) writes:
>Has anybody had any experience with the new ATI 8514/Ultra card?  The
>magazine ad I read about it claimed it was up to 5 times faster than
>even a TI 34010 equipped card.  Plus VGA, XGA register level
>compatibility- all for only $595 list (which translates to < $350
>actual retail value :-) ).  I'm also interested in opinions with this
>card with Windows 3.0, or graphics intensive games (e.g. Wing Commander).

I have an 8514/Ultra (1m) & VGA Wonder+ (512).  With windows it is
a good idea to get the 1m version.  The board is GREAT, and seems to
be very compatible (it also SCREAMS!).  I reccommend it!

Lance

--
Lance Bledsoe                       Off:    (512) 343-1111
Pencom Software, Inc.               Fax     (512) 343-9650

roell@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Thomas Roell) (05/23/91)

>Has anybody had any experience with the new ATI 8514/Ultra card?  The
>magazine ad I read about it claimed it was up to 5 times faster than
>even a TI 34010 equipped card.

I didn't try out the ATI 8514/Ultra, but many different other 8514 clones.
And the result was that a normal board outperformed all these highend
boards with a 32MHz 34020. Note that this test didn't include CAD or other
applications where the 34020 could get to it's highest performance. All I
tested was the performance for GUI applications (MS Windows, X Windows)

- Thomas

E-Mail (domain):	 roell@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.de
UUCP (if above fails):   roell@tumult.{uucp | informatik.tu-muenchen.de}
famous last words: "diskspace - the final frontier..."