[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Tseng Labs 3000 compatible with 4000 chips?

tgtbtk@rw9.urc.tue.nl (A. Kuiper) (05/21/91)

My SVGA adapter uses TsengLabs 4000 chipset, some software only supports
TsengLabs 3000 chipset it seems that the 4000 chipset is not compatible with
the 3000 chipset.
What should i do to run 3000 chipset software on a Tsengabs 4000 SVGA adapter?

Toine Kuiper, tgtbtk@chem.tue.nl

cg108dbd@icogsci1.ucsd.edu (Steve -Social Hacker) (05/21/91)

--=}>> On 20 May 91 19:23:13 GMT, tgtbtk@rw9.urc.tue.nl (A. Kuiper) said:

TK> My SVGA adapter uses TsengLabs 4000 chipset, some software only supports
TK> TsengLabs 3000 chipset it seems that the 4000 chipset is not compatible with
TK> the 3000 chipset.
TK> What should i do to run 3000 chipset software on a Tsengabs 4000 SVGA adapter?

TK> Toine Kuiper, tgtbtk@chem.tue.nl

I'm definately no expert on this, but it seems to me that often when I
run TS 3000 software on my ET4000's (BOCA & STB), there are often
large gaps in the screen horizontally.  This only happens in the
extended modes, and I have yet to see a ET4000 program do this.

Perhaps I should describle the effect a little more and see if anyone
else has seen this...

Imagine a .GIF file properly loaded onto the screen (proper colors,
aspect, resolution, etc.) BUT there are big, black, horizontal stripes
across the screen.  They are about 1.5 inches or so in height, and are
the same size as the stripes of "proper" picture.  Altogether, the 4
or so stripes occupy exactly half of the screen.

A really crude and naive (but explanatory) description might be that
it looks like every other RAM chip is missing. :-)

Has anyone else seen this?  More importantly, is there a fix?

Note that I have never seen the 320x200 or any other normal VGA mode
do this, only the Extended modes.

Any ideas, pointers?
Thanks.

-Steve
--
}>> Steve Haehnichen <<{
  shaehnichen@ucsd.edu      Disclaimer: UCSD and I do not share any opinions.

dj@ctron.com (DJ Delorie) (05/21/91)

In article <CG108DBD.91May20221307@icogsci1.icogsci1.ucsd.edu>, cg108dbd@icogsci1.ucsd.edu (Steve -Social Hacker) writes:
> --=}>> On 20 May 91 19:23:13 GMT, tgtbtk@rw9.urc.tue.nl (A. Kuiper) said:
>
> TK> My SVGA adapter uses TsengLabs 4000 chipset, some software only supports
> TK> TsengLabs 3000 chipset it seems that the 4000 chipset is not compatible with
> TK> the 3000 chipset.
> TK> What should i do to run 3000 chipset software on a Tsengabs 4000 SVGA adapter?
>
> TK> Toine Kuiper, tgtbtk@chem.tue.nl
>
> I'm definately no expert on this, but it seems to me that often when I
> run TS 3000 software on my ET4000's (BOCA & STB), there are often
> large gaps in the screen horizontally.  This only happens in the
> extended modes, and I have yet to see a ET4000 program do this.

Here's the difference betwixt the two:

There is a single register in the TSENG chips that determines which
64K bank you're accessing.  This register has different bit meanings,
since the '3000 supports 512K and the '4000 supports 1M.

'3000:

             x  x  R  R  R  W  W  W   (R&W may be swapped, I forget)

'4000:

             R  R  R  R  W  W  W  W

Note that they overlap by a bit - this causes the funny blank bars
across the screen every inch or so.

The only way to run '3000 software is to upgrade the drivers, or
patch the '3000 driver to compensate for the moved bits.

DJ
dj@ctron.com
(Happy '4000 owner)

osmoviita@cc.helsinki.fi (05/23/91)

In article <1514@balrog.ctron.com>, dj@ctron.com (DJ Delorie) writes:
> In article <CG108DBD.91May20221307@icogsci1.icogsci1.ucsd.edu>, cg108dbd@icogsci1.ucsd.edu (Steve -Social Hacker) writes:
>> --=}>> On 20 May 91 19:23:13 GMT, tgtbtk@rw9.urc.tue.nl (A. Kuiper) said:
>>
>> TK> My SVGA adapter uses TsengLabs 4000 chipset, some software only supports
>> TK> TsengLabs 3000 chipset it seems that the 4000 chipset is not compatible with
>> TK> the 3000 chipset.
>> TK> What should i do to run 3000 chipset software on a Tsengabs 4000 SVGA adapter?
>>
>> TK> Toine Kuiper, tgtbtk@chem.tue.nl
>>
>> I'm definately no expert on this, but it seems to me that often when I
>> run TS 3000 software on my ET4000's (BOCA & STB), there are often
>> large gaps in the screen horizontally.  This only happens in the
>> extended modes, and I have yet to see a ET4000 program do this.
>
> Here's the difference betwixt the two:
>
> There is a single register in the TSENG chips that determines which
> 64K bank you're accessing.  This register has different bit meanings,
> since the '3000 supports 512K and the '4000 supports 1M.
>

> '3000:
>
>              x  x  R  R  R  W  W  W   (R&W may be swapped, I forget)
>
> '4000:
>
>              R  R  R  R  W  W  W  W
>

> Note that they overlap by a bit - this causes the funny blank bars
> across the screen every inch or so.
>
> The only way to run '3000 software is to upgrade the drivers, or
> patch the '3000 driver to compensate for the moved bits.
>
> DJ
> dj@ctron.com
> (Happy '4000 owner)

I put same images by same program to Orchid PrDesigner II with 512kB and
Everex Viewpoint VRAM with 1MB -- both based on Tseng 4000 -- using Tseng
3000 driver. Orchid w 512k showed images without the black bars and
Everex w 1M had the black gaps. Is it so that Tseng 4000 can use memory
like Tseng 3000 when it has only 512kB memory?

Kari Osmoviita

brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Brandon Brown) (05/23/91)

cg108dbd@icogsci1.ucsd.edu (Steve -Social Hacker) writes:

>Has anyone else seen this?  More importantly, is there a fix?

Yep. I think that it is an incompatibility problem. I am using the Graphic
Libraries from GENUS, and they all perform exactly the same way on the TS4000;
wrong.

|  Brandon Brown                     | Internet: brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu    |
|  Coordinated Science Laboratory    | UUCP:	 uiucuxc!addamax!brando!brown |
|  University of Illinois            | CompuServe: 73040,447                  |
|  Urbana, IL  61801                 | GEnie:    macbrando                    |

burkey@duncan.cs.utk.edu (Michael Burkey) (05/25/91)

Tseng 3000 & 4000 cards are NOT compatible.

The bank register for SVGA is located in two different locations.
From a programming standpoint the difference is neglible, but software will
not work correctly between the two.

M. Burkey