[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] SCSI confusions, help please!

tims@infidel.lanl.gov (Tim Sullivan) (05/17/91)

I am confused about the SCSI interface. Let me describe the problem I
was trying to solve and hope that someone can explain why I was wrong.

A Sun network here at the Lab needed more disk space and tape backup,
so they went out and bought an external box from R-Squared that has a
1.2Gbyte hard drive and a 2.3 Gbyte Exabyte tape drive. It interfaces
to a Sun throught the Sun SCSI port. No problem.

Now we have an AT and a frame grabber that takes data off of a video
camera. For something that we want to do, we are limited by the size
of our hard disk, which coincidentally died. So we said, why don't we
replace the dead MFM hard disk with a small SCSI disk and when we need
to we can bring the R-Squared system over and use with the AT? A 150Mb
SCSI drive might cost us $750 or so, and a SCSI controller can be
found for less than $100. So, for less than double the price of an MFM
hard drive of comparable size, we can switch to SCSI and have the
occasional use of the big disk and tape drive.

I've heard that you should buy the SCSI controller from the same
people you buy the disk from, so I looked in the R-Squared catalog and
sure enough, they sell a SCSI controller to attach their drive to an
AT for $1600! And a 91 Mbyte, internal hard drive for $1725!

So what is wrong here? What is it about SCSI controllers that can
support price differences so large? What does a $1600 controller do
that a $100 controller doesn't do? There must be something I don't
understand.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Tim Sullivan (tims@goshawk.lanl.gov)

rick@always.com (Rick Wagner) (05/21/91)

In article <TIMS.91May16115641@infidel.infidel.lanl.gov> tims@infidel.lanl.gov (Tim Sullivan) writes:
> ... So, for less than double the price of an MFM
>hard drive of comparable size, we can switch to SCSI and have the
>occasional use of the big disk and tape drive.

This may not be as easy as it seems.  I beleave that the Sun formats
the SCSI drive to 1024 byte sectors, while DOS will want 512 byte
sectors.  The Exabyte shouldn't be a problem though.

>I've heard that you should buy the SCSI controller from the same
>people you buy the disk from, so I looked in the R-Squared catalog and

This can be helpfull if they verify that the whole system plays
together.  This means they have tried the drive and controller in the
package you are selling.  On the other hand, if you are running
standard applications, a good source is to ask the drive manufacturer
which adapter they recommend.  Then check with the adapter
manufacturer and make sure they support what you are doing.

>sure enough, they sell a SCSI controller to attach their drive to an
>AT for $1600! And a 91 Mbyte, internal hard drive for $1725!
>
>So what is wrong here? What is it about SCSI controllers that can
>support price differences so large? What does a $1600 controller do
>that a $100 controller doesn't do? There must be something I don't
>understand.

Seems a bit steep; our adapter lists for $249, others are higher (up to
$350 I think) down to about $50.  These are MFSRP; street prices are
generally lower.  The difference in price is: performance, included
drivers, functionality, and marketing.  Might be that these guys are
selling with a software package or some specialized system into a
niche market; other than that, I don't know what could justify that
kind of pricing.

>Thanks for any help you can offer.
>
>Tim Sullivan (tims@goshawk.lanl.gov)

Hope I helped.
	--rick
Rick Wagner / Always Technology			email: rick@always.COM
31336 Via Colinas, Suite 101			Voice: 1-818-597-1400
Westlake Village, CA 91362			Fax: 1-818-597-1496

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (05/22/91)

Interesting that a guy from Always corp responds to this thread.
I would seriously consider one of their products if I were ever
brave enough to try SCSI on a PC. But I'm more of an ESDI/IDE kind
of guy...

--

plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) (05/22/91)

/ phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) /  1:17 am  May 22, 1991 / writes:

> Interesting that a guy from Always corp responds to this thread.
> I would seriously consider one of their products if I were ever
> brave enough to try SCSI on a PC. But I'm more of an ESDI/IDE kind
> of guy...

You might want to try if you run out of disk space. I have the Always
IN-2000 SCSI adapter in my system. It plays together with my existing
ESDI drive (have also tried and verified that it plays with IDE drive).
Togather with a SyQuest device driver, it allows me to have 3 hard drives
on line at the same time (ESDI, SCSI and SyQuest). I have also attached
an Archive Viper tape drive to the SCSI host adapter.

The IN-2000 isn't a performance screamer (about 1MByte per sec transfer
rate); but the manual specifically said that it does not use DMA and
avoided a lot of incompatibility. I still haven't figure out why that
is so, but the IN-2000 seems very compatible (I also have Sound Blaster)
to me. Ran with Windows 3.0 enhanced mode straight without the need to set
VirtualHDIrq=false (or something similar).

I am very satisfied with this adapter and Rick Wagner has been very helpful
when I needed help on getting new SyQuest device driver and SCSI BIOS ROM
upgrade. I heard that Always had came out with an EISA SCSI adapter which
can deliver about 3 - 4 MByte per sec. Anyone has any more info ?

** Obviously I am not affiliated with Always in any ways except as a very
   satisfied customer.

Regards,     ___o``\________________________________________________ ___ __ _ _
Peter Lim.   V````\  @ @ . .. ... .- -> 76 MIPS at under US$20K !!   --- -- - -
                  /.------------------------------------------------ === == = =
             >--_//      . .. ... .- -> 57 MIPS at under US$12K !!
                `'       . If you guessed SUN, IBM or DEC, you are wrong !

E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,
                                             Singapore   0410.

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

gerardka@hobbes.ism.isc.com (Gerard Kam) (05/22/91)

In article <TIMS.91May16115641@infidel.infidel.lanl.gov> tims@infidel.lanl.gov (Tim Sullivan) writes:
	<deleted>
>So what is wrong here? What is it about SCSI controllers that can
>support price differences so large? What does a $1600 controller do
>that a $100 controller doesn't do? There must be something I don't
>understand.

	The "SCSI controller" is more correctly called a SCSI host
	adapter.  Its function is to provide an interface between the
	CPU system bus (ISA, EISA, Microchannel) and the SCSI bus.

	The host adapter can be so simple as to require complete CPU
	operation for control and I/O (programmed I/O).  A step up
	would have direct memory access (DMA) data transfers.
	The fancy ones have on-board processors and large buffers.
	These are very common on VME and Multibus SCSI adapters.
	Since EISA and Microchannel are also multi-processor buses,
	there are a few intelligent SCSI adapters for those also.

	Gerard

jrd@cc.usu.edu (05/23/91)

In article <TIMS.91May16115641@infidel.infidel.lanl.gov>, tims@infidel.lanl.gov (Tim Sullivan) writes:

> I am confused about the SCSI interface. Let me describe the problem I
> was trying to solve and hope that someone can explain why I was wrong.
>
> A Sun network here at the Lab needed more disk space and tape backup,
> so they went out and bought an external box from R-Squared that has a
> 1.2Gbyte hard drive and a 2.3 Gbyte Exabyte tape drive. It interfaces
> to a Sun throught the Sun SCSI port. No problem.
>
> Now we have an AT and a frame grabber that takes data off of a video
> camera. For something that we want to do, we are limited by the size
> of our hard disk, which coincidentally died. So we said, why don't we
> replace the dead MFM hard disk with a small SCSI disk and when we need
> to we can bring the R-Squared system over and use with the AT? A 150Mb
> SCSI drive might cost us $750 or so, and a SCSI controller can be
> found for less than $100. So, for less than double the price of an MFM
> hard drive of comparable size, we can switch to SCSI and have the
> occasional use of the big disk and tape drive.
>
> I've heard that you should buy the SCSI controller from the same
> people you buy the disk from, so I looked in the R-Squared catalog and
> sure enough, they sell a SCSI controller to attach their drive to an
> AT for $1600! And a 91 Mbyte, internal hard drive for $1725!
>
> So what is wrong here? What is it about SCSI controllers that can
> support price differences so large? What does a $1600 controller do
> that a $100 controller doesn't do? There must be something I don't
> understand.
>
> Thanks for any help you can offer.
>
> Tim Sullivan (tims@goshawk.lanl.gov)
---------------------
Tim,
	Yup, a misunderstanding. It is possible to spend $1600 on a SCSI
controller for an AT, but you have to work hard on it. That's the price
for a VAX SCSI controller.
	Ask R Squared for an Adaptec 1542B controller (under $300) and
a good drive (680MB units go for $1500-1700 these days as a benchmark figure).
Adaptec supplies drivers with their "kit" package at that price. If they
can't provide then feel safe in purchasing the controller from an official
Adaptec distributor and use it with almost any SCSI drive around. The under
$100 controllers are too simple minded for a high performance drive (recall,
these things escalate into more and bigger drives).
	Joe D.

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (05/24/91)

plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) writes:
>I am very satisfied with this adapter and Rick Wagner has been very helpful
>when I needed help on getting new SyQuest device driver and SCSI BIOS ROM

I can believe that Always has good customer support, but this need to
upgrade drivers is what scares me off. I want to buy a disk controller,
plug it in, format my disk, and use it. My WD1007 does that.

What if I want to run something really weird, like Novell Netware, and
it's not supported, or Novell comes out with Version 4.000 and it
starts flaking out every 3 days. It gives me nightmares and I like to
have my sleep uninterrupted.

--
For the Welfare system to flourish, its clients must not.
Conflict of interest?

iverson@xstor.com (Tim Iverson) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May20.221754.1226@always.com> rick@always.com (Rick Wagner) writes:
>In article <TIMS.91May16115641@infidel.infidel.lanl.gov> tims@infidel.lanl.gov (Tim Sullivan) writes:
>> ... So, for less than double the price of an MFM
>>hard drive of comparable size, we can switch to SCSI and have the
>>occasional use of the big disk and tape drive.

At an (off-the-cuff) guess, SCSI should only be about 10% more.  Less than
double sounds like you're being rooked.

>This may not be as easy as it seems.  I beleave that the Sun formats
>the SCSI drive to 1024 byte sectors, while DOS will want 512 byte
>sectors.  The Exabyte shouldn't be a problem though.

You're right that it won't be easy, but not because of the sector size.
Sun systems use a 512 byte sector format, just like DOS and the various PC
Unixes.  The problem is the partition table.

A Sun label (what Sun calls their partition table) is placed on lba 0.  A
DOS/Unix partition table (what IBM calls their label) also gets placed on
lba 0.  They are not compatible.

If you don't mind re-labeling and mkfs'ing (Sun) and repartitioning and
formatting (DOS) every time you move the drive back and forth, then you
can share the drive without any special software.  If you don't want to
do this, you'll have to write a driver that allows one of your two OSes
to talk to a drive formatted for the other.  Or, you could use PC-NFS.

The Exabyte may be a problem under DOS - you'll need software from someone
that will allow you to access it; DOS can't do it alone.  In fact, most
ISA host adapters do not come with software to do this.  You'll have to
shop for it.

>>I've heard that you should buy the SCSI controller from the same
>>people you buy the disk from, so I looked in the R-Squared catalog and

Try it before you buy it - get an eval set or if they won't do that, then
ask them to come out and demo or go see one somewhere, or (well, you
get the picture).

>>sure enough, they sell a SCSI controller to attach their drive to an
>>AT for $1600! And a 91 Mbyte, internal hard drive for $1725!

Wow.  For that price, it better be a real special system.  For a 100MB
scsi subsystem, I would guess $500 (we sell them, but you'll have to
talk to a salesman to get the real story).

>>So what is wrong here? What is it about SCSI controllers that can
>>support price differences so large? What does a $1600 controller do
>>that a $100 controller doesn't do?

Hellifino (the small pink kind found in whiskey jars ... :-).  Give 'em a
call and ask.  Could be that they do something so nifty it would be a
bargain at twice that, but it would have to be something truly awesome.

>>Tim Sullivan (tims@goshawk.lanl.gov)

>Rick Wagner / Always Technology	email: rick@always.COM

- Tim Iverson
  iverson@xstor.com -/- uunet!xstor!iverson