[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Adaptec or Future Domain ?

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) (05/24/91)

I am planning to upgrade my machine a bit - remove the 100MByte ESDI disk
I currently have, and installing a 600-700MByte SCSI disk instead.

The disk which I am currently considering is from Microscience, (type
FH4777, capacity 643 Mbytes, I think), although it appears to be manufactured
by Siemens - does anybody have any expperience of this disk ?

My question is - which controller should I get ?  I am considering controllers
from Adaptec and Future Domain, but am having a problem deciding.

Somebody out there must have done something similar....so if you have any
experience (good or bad) with this disk or any reason for recommending the
controllers from one of the companies rather than the other one, I would
appreciate hearing from you.

Just send me the replies - don't post, I will post a summary if there is
any interest.

-frisk

Fridrik Skulason                 Technical Editor of the Virus Bulletin (UK)
(author of F-PROT)               E-Mail: frisk@rhi.hi.is    Fax: 354-1-28801

sip1@quads.uchicago.edu (Timothy F. Sipples) (05/26/91)

In article <3182@krafla.rhi.hi.is> frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) writes:
>My question is - which controller should I get ?  I am considering controllers
>from Adaptec and Future Domain, but am having a problem deciding.

I'm also looking for an SCSI controller (hard and high density floppy) for
my AT.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  It should be OS/2 1.3 HPFS
compatible.  Would it make sense to go with one that appears to software as
a regular Western Digital MFM-type controller?  (The controller emulates all
the registers and maps all requests to the SCSI bus as appropriate.)

Please e-mail and I'll summarize to the net if interest warrants.

T.F.S.						sip1@quads.uchicago.edu
Timothy F. Sipples				sip1@sam.spc.uchicago.edu