[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] entry level question...

nhuang@hawk.ulowell.edu (Nai-An Huang) (05/25/91)

From: nhuang@hawk.ulowell.edu
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc,
Subject: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware

  I am a new pc user, and have several question:

1) I have a 286 AT machine with 40Mg hard drive, now I want increase my
   memory volume, can I just connect another hard drive to slot? or
   have to replace a new bigger hard disk?
2) If connect another hard drive can be done, do I need another controller?
3) How many drives can I set up if the memory over 100Mg?

  Thanks for anyones answer!

                                                 --Bill

mrr1@Isis.MsState.Edu (mark r rauschkolb) (05/28/91)

nhuang@hawk.ulowell.edu (Nai-An Huang) writes:

>From: nhuang@hawk.ulowell.edu
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc,
>Subject: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware

>  I am a new pc user, and have several question:

>1) I have a 286 AT machine with 40Mg hard drive, now I want increase my
>   memory volume, can I just connect another hard drive to slot? or
>   have to replace a new bigger hard disk?
>2) If connect another hard drive can be done, do I need another controller?
>3) How many drives can I set up if the memory over 100Mg?

>  Thanks for anyones answer!

Most Controllers can handle two hard disks, so you can just buy another and pop
it in.  (there is something about terminating resistors, and MOST systems
require you to remove it from one of the drives, usually the first one)
You also have to tell the disk drive that it is the second one)

I have run into systems that required both drives have the resistor, and others that required it on either the first or the second ... I had thought that there
was a standard but ....

I have never tried a system with more than two drives / more than one hard drivecontroller.

If you buy your new drive from a good place, they can usually tell you the
specifics of using the new drive with your existing system.
(Hard Drives, Inc has a very good pamphlet on the subject)

 - Mark
(no .sig )