[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] MIPS on 386

byu@csri.toronto.edu (Benjamin Yu) (05/23/91)

I want to find out how many mips are the 386's running at.  A number of
dealers told me their 33 Mz machine runs at about 7 to 8 mips.  When I go
to the stores and run the mips program from Chips and Technology, it only
shows actual MIPS to be around 4.7.  Does anyone have a clue who is lying:
the dealer or the program??

Benjamin Yu

ian@rathe.cs.umn.edu (Ian Hogg) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.105137.294@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> byu@csri.toronto.edu (Benjamin Yu) writes:
>I want to find out how many mips are the 386's running at.  A number of
>dealers told me their 33 Mz machine runs at about 7 to 8 mips.  When I go
>to the stores and run the mips program from Chips and Technology, it only
>shows actual MIPS to be around 4.7.  Does anyone have a clue who is lying:
>the dealer or the program??
>

>Benjamin Yu

  I see this on my 33Mhz (supposedly 8 MIPS) 386.  What I suspect is happening
is the MIPS test gives a value of 7-8 MIPS for register to register operations
(I think that's the test anyways).  What it appears to me is the classic case
of vendors reporting "peak" performance.
--
Ian Hogg                        email:  rathe!ian@cs.umn.edu
                                        ...!umn-cs!rathe!ian

aris@tabbs.UUCP (Aris Stathakis) (05/27/91)

In <1991May24.125642.13818@rathe.cs.umn.edu> ian@rathe.cs.umn.edu (Ian Hogg) writes:

>In article <1991May23.105137.294@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> byu@csri.toronto.edu (Benjamin Yu) writes:
>>I want to find out how many mips are the 386's running at.  A number of
>>dealers told me their 33 Mz machine runs at about 7 to 8 mips.  When I go
>>to the stores and run the mips program from Chips and Technology, it only
>>shows actual MIPS to be around 4.7.  Does anyone have a clue who is lying:
>>the dealer or the program??

>  I see this on my 33Mhz (supposedly 8 MIPS) 386.  What I suspect is happening
>is the MIPS test gives a value of 7-8 MIPS for register to register operations
>(I think that's the test anyways).  What it appears to me is the classic case
>of vendors reporting "peak" performance.

What I think the problem is that PC dealers use "Power Meter" instead of
the Chips and Technologies mips program.  Power meter always seems to
give a more favorable reading :-)

Aris

--
Aris Stathakis | Bang: ..!uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!tabbs!aris or aris@tabbs.UUCP
-                                                                        -

gtephx (Wild Rider) (05/29/91)

	In article <1991May23.105137.294@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>
	byu@csri.toronto.edu (Benjamin Yu) writes:
>I want to find out how many mips are the 386's running at.  A number of
>dealers told me their 33 Mz machine runs at about 7 to 8 mips.  When I go
>to the stores and run the mips program from Chips and Technology, it only
>shows actual MIPS to be around 4.7.  Does anyone have a clue who is lying:
>the dealer or the program??

	think real hard... who has a stake in "stretching the truth" here?
	who would just love to get his hands on your wallet, hmmm?

	surely canadian sales-slugs are no less slimy than those down here
	in the usa?

	a friend of mine used to sell cars for a living; he told me that
	in sales meetings they were _explicitly_ instructed to "tell the
	customer whatever he wants to hear" to make the sale.

	how can you tell when a sales-slug is lying? its lips are moving.

	remember, if it sells something, it's a sales-slug.

>Benjamin Yu

	cheers,
	wr (wild rider)
--
Wallace Roberts, AG (formerly GTE) Communication Systems, Phoenix, AZ
UUCP: ...!{ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!zardoz!hrc | att}!gtephx!robertsw