[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Miniscribe Hard Drive Problem....m

choudhry@eng.umd.edu (Zafar Ullah Choudhry) (05/29/91)

	I have a Miniscribe 3425 (21MB) drive. I formatted it with Speed Store
low level formatter. The partition created is also boot active and system files
are also on the disk. Now, when I try to boot from this drive (drive C) on my
PC XT, system checks the hard drive but due to some reason returns back to
drive A and doesn't boot from the HD. Originally, I have ST225 in my system
and I have simply removed its cable and connected them to the new HD, no system
configuration switches are changed. Could anybody tell me, is there some thing
 wrong with the controller or there is some other reason. (I also tried Norton
Disk Doctor to make the drive bootable but it didn't work). Other than this
boot problem, disk works normally. I can read/write and exectue files.

	Also, I have a controller made by Standard Micro Systems Corp. is markedas SMC 4003-PC. This is an 8-bit hard disk controller for XTs. Could any one tell me the settings of Jumper J-1.

Thank.
Zafar.
Email: choudhry@bagend.eng.umd.edu

barnett@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Karey Barnett) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May29.034736.6232@eng.umd.edu> choudhry@eng.umd.edu (Zafar Ullah Choudhry) writes:

>       I have a Miniscribe 3425 (21MB) drive. I formatted it with Speed Store
>low level formatter. The partition created is also boot active and system files
>are also on the disk. Now, when I try to boot from this drive (drive C) on my
>PC XT, system checks the hard drive but due to some reason returns back to
>drive A and doesn't boot from the HD. Originally, I have ST225 in my system
>and I have simply removed its cable and connected them to the new HD, no system
>configuration switches are changed. Could anybody tell me, is there some thing
> wrong with the controller or there is some other reason. (I also tried Norton
>Disk Doctor to make the drive bootable but it didn't work). Other than this
>boot problem, disk works normally. I can read/write and exectue files.

You might have track 0 on the hard drive physically bad; hence, you won't
be able to boot from the hard drive.  If by chance track 0 _is_ physically
bad, you might want to re-partition the disk, creating a partition that
encompasses the bad track.  Then, create a partition(s) on the rest of
the disk, setting the first partition (of the new ones) as the active,
booting partition.  This should work.