[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Worth of 3Com Ethernet card?

jsaker@zeus.unomaha.edu (Jamie Saker -- Vice President, UNO ACE) (05/27/91)

A friend who is in need of cash offered me a shrinkwrapped 3Com Ethernet
card, 3C501 (2608C on the card), with software, t-tap connector, manual,
etc. for $50 (all unused).  Since I'm rather new to Ethernet networking,
but would like to run Ethernet between 2 386s and my Mac IIsi, is this
a good deal (card and price)?

Many thanks in advance!

 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jamie Saker				    jsaker@zeus.unomaha.edu (Internet).
Vice President 			    	 	jsaker@unoma1 (BITNET).
Director, Information Services						      .
UNO Association of Collegiate Entrepreneurs				      .
									      .
CBA 503, UNO		"No Red Beads until further notice. Failure	      .
Omaha, NE  68182	to comply will result in immediate termination."      .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

In article <15418.283fe866@zeus.unomaha.edu> jsaker@zeus.unomaha.edu (Jamie Saker -- Vice President, UNO ACE) writes:

   A friend who is in need of cash offered me a shrinkwrapped 3Com Ethernet
   card, 3C501 (2608C on the card), with software, t-tap connector, manual,
   etc. for $50 (all unused).  Since I'm rather new to Ethernet networking,
   but would like to run Ethernet between 2 386s and my Mac IIsi, is this
   a good deal (card and price)?

It's not a good deal, it's an okay deal.  If you look around, you can
find NE-1000 clone Ethernet boards for $100.  The 3c501 is the oldest
and slowest PC Ethernet card still on the market.  But for $50, it
should suffice, especially on an Ethernet with only three machines...

--
--russ <nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu> I'm proud to be a humble Quaker.
Clear cutting is criminal, spiking trees is criminal, and using hyperbole of

rich@aoa.UUCP (Rich Snow) (05/31/91)

nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu  writes:

>>   A friend who is in need of cash offered me a shrinkwrapped 3Com Ethernet
>>   card, 3C501 (2608C on the card) is this a good deal (card and price)?
>>
>It's not a good deal, it's an okay deal.  The 3c501 is the oldest
>and slowest PC Ethernet card still on the market.

The 3c501 was replaced a couple years ago by the 3c503 and since then the
Etherlink series. I haven't seen a "new" one in some time.

>But for $50, it
>should suffice, especially on an Ethernet with only three machines...

It's fine, expect ftp transfers to max around 150Kbps. I don't plan to
upgrade those I have running around here... (ex. by attrition! :-)

-Rich
--
*	Rich Snow  AOA-----------------*
*       (617)864-0201