[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] BOCA/STB speed

eegeh@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Glen Elliot Harris) (05/29/91)

  Last week someone posted an artical stating that a BOCA SVGA card was
faster than an STB clone, this clone being identical to the PowerGraph/
EM16+.  The numbers were ~2300 for the STB and ~4500 for the BOCA.
These were tested(I think) in a '386.
  I have a Powergraph in my 16MHz '286 and it rates at 5400.

  Something tells me that this 'clone' has maybe a few genetic
defects....

Glen Harris
eegeh@wanda.jcu.edu.au

no .sig

osmoviita@cc.helsinki.fi (05/30/91)

In article <1991May28.232824.10754@marlin.jcu.edu.au>, eegeh@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Glen Elliot Harris) writes:

>   Last week someone posted an artical stating that a BOCA SVGA card was
> faster than an STB clone, this clone being identical to the PowerGraph/
> EM16+.  The numbers were ~2300 for the STB and ~4500 for the BOCA.
> These were tested(I think) in a '386.
>   I have a Powergraph in my 16MHz '286 and it rates at 5400.
>
>   Something tells me that this 'clone' has maybe a few genetic
> defects....
>
> Glen Harris
> eegeh@wanda.jcu.edu.au
>
> no .sig

Do you have normal 8 MHz bus speed? Rising processor or bus speed or both
in the same machine seems to give higher seed rates to these SVGAs.

It would be nice to tell in addition to configuration the bus speed when
speeds are measured.

Kari Osmoviita		osmoviita@cc.helsinki.fi

eegeh@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Glen Elliot Harris) (05/31/91)

In <1991May30.004228.1@cc.helsinki.fi> osmoviita@cc.helsinki.fi writes:

>In article <1991May28.232824.10754@marlin.jcu.edu.au>, eegeh@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Glen Elliot Harris) writes:
>>
>>   Last week someone posted an artical stating that a BOCA SVGA card was
>> faster than an STB clone, this clone being identical to the PowerGraph/
>> EM16+.  The numbers were ~2300 for the STB and ~4500 for the BOCA.
>> These were tested(I think) in a '386.
>>   I have a Powergraph in my 16MHz '286 and it rates at 5400.
>>
>>   Something tells me that this 'clone' has maybe a few genetic
>> defects....
>>
>> Glen Harris
>> eegeh@wanda.jcu.edu.au
>>
>> no .sig

>Do you have normal 8 MHz bus speed? Rising processor or bus speed or both
>in the same machine seems to give higher seed rates to these SVGAs.

>It would be nice to tell in addition to configuration the bus speed when
>speeds are measured.

>Kari Osmoviita		osmoviita@cc.helsinki.fi

  Hey, this board is _OLD_, it's actually an xtal swapped 12MHz board.
The bus speed is rocketing along as a whopping 8MHz.

Glen Harris