[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Epson Equity II+

gerardis@cs.mcgill.ca (Tony GERARDIS) (05/31/91)

A friend of mine has an Epson Equity II+ with a 40Mb Miniscribe hard
drive. There was recently a power failure (his system was on), and after
that time The computer doesn't recognize that there is a hard drive
connected. When you start up the hard drive light comes on and then
wants to boot of drive a:. As far as I'm concerned the CMOS got screwed
during the power failure!  However The system comes up with the error
"161- run setup in diagnostics
       options not set         "    ERROR.

He never got the Diagnostics disks with his system so I can't run Setup,
And Epson never bothered to put a built in hardware CMOS setup which
most companies do nowadays Which can be invoked from a simple keystroke!
EPSON is asking $60 for a simple setup program which should have been
included with the system.

If anyone HAS THIS DIAGNOSTICS DISK FOR THE EPSON computers Would you
please let me know!

Maybe Someone can shed some light on this problem.
No, booting off floppy doesn't solve the problem. when I boot off floppy
and then try to switch to c: I get the Invalid drive specification
error.
     gerardis@cs.mcgill.ca     | The sun is the same in a relative way,

honeywel@chama.unm.edu (Honeywell Field Service) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May30.201331.22972@cs.mcgill.ca> gerardis@cs.mcgill.ca (Tony GERARDIS) writes:
>A friend of mine has an Epson Equity II+ with a 40Mb Miniscribe hard
>drive. There was recently a power failure (his system was on), and after
>that time The computer doesn't recognize that there is a hard drive
>connected. When you start up the hard drive light comes on and then
>wants to boot of drive a:. As far as I'm concerned the CMOS got screwed
>during the power failure!  However The system comes up with the error
>"161- run setup in diagnostics
>       options not set         "    ERROR.

   Stuff deleted------

This is a common problem with Epson systems in my experience.  The lithium
cell that Epson provides seems to fail after approximately one year.  We
buy these batteries in quantity (50) because we never know when we're
going to have a rash of "options not set".  Usually the time/date clock
starts getting weird or resets all the time just before you "options
not set".

I would be amazed if some local Epson dealer wouldn't provide you with
this diskette as a courtesy.  I've never had a problem, to date, with
getting a copy from one of the dealers, but then they know I'm with
Honeywell and they're usually extra nice.

    HONEYWELL Third Party Computer Service  --  1(800) 525-7439
    Mike Thomas, Senior Technician, Albuquerque, New Mexico
    honeywel@wayback.unm.edu   (505) 888-5820