[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Gateway

ericb@hplsla.HP.COM (Eric Backus) (05/30/91)

>1) How good of a video card does it have. Does it do 1244x768x256.

I believe they still use the Diamond Speedstar with 1MB ram.  I have one of
these at home in my Gateway 386/33.  It's a good, fast card.  It does a
maximum of 1024x768x256.

>2) How about the monitor, they it is noninterlaced but does it still flicker
>   Should I just buy an NEC3D multisync.

Flicker is not a problem for me, but I found the Crystal Scan 1024NI too
fuzzy for me except in normal VGA mode.  I upgraded to a SONY 1304, and I'm
much happier.  Keep in mind that 1024x768 isn't really very useful on a 14"
monitor.

>3) ANyway I can get a smaller drive,say 100 meg, and use  the savings for
>   extra memory.

No doubt.  Everything is negotiable when you talk this kind of money.  I
got a Seagate ST1144A, which is 125MB.  I'm quite happy with it.  But I
wouldn't go any smaller than that, and I still sort-of wish I went for the
200MB disk.
--
				Eric Backus
				ericb%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com

ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu (Geraldo Veiga) (05/30/91)

In article <13000012@hplsla.HP.COM> ericb@hplsla.HP.COM (Eric Backus) writes:
>I believe they still use the Diamond Speedstar with 1MB ram.  I have one of
>these at home in my Gateway 386/33.  It's a good, fast card.  It does a
>maximum of 1024x768x256.

True as of 2 weeks ago.

> I upgraded to a SONY 1304, and I'm
>much happier.  Keep in mind that 1024x768 isn't really very useful on a 14"
>monitor.

I beg to differ here.  Of course the bigger the better, but the Sony
1304 is very usable at high res.  I've  installed X386 in this machine
and I got used to xterm's small characters very fast.  I looks much
better than the Qume monitor (at 800x600) I have on another system .
The smaller dot-pitch truly makes a difference, and compesates a bit
for the small size.  I have also seen it running MS-Windows (also with a
Speedstar) and it really shines at 1204x768.   I suppose it is also a
matter of taste, and it depends on how confortable you are working at
close range to the monitor.

dafuller@sequent.UUCP (David Fuller) (05/31/91)

What about the Nanao 16" monitors vs, say, the new NEC 4D?

Would you rather run 1024x768x256 on one of those?

--
Dave Fuller
Sequent Computer Systems		  Think of this as the hyper-signature.