[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Compaq Portable and 720K floppy drive

gwni@troi.cc.rochester.edu (G. Wayne Nichols) (05/14/91)

I have one of the original (8088) Compaq Portables.
I also have a working 720K 3 1/2" floppy drive
	(I tested it as drive B on another XT-type machine).
So I removed one of my 5 1/4" floppies and installed the 3 1/2" drive.
Results?  It doesn't work.
	When I try to access the drive, the select light comes on,
	but the read is never successful.  Usually it reports a
	"drive not found".

I tried adding a "DRIVPARM" statement to CONFIG.SYS, but it didn't help.
Is there a minimum ROM revision level needed for this to work?
	I have revision C (after all, my hard disk works).

P.S. - Is there a minimum ROM revision level needed for an EGA to work
	in this machine?

skipm@dorsai (Dorsai SysOp) (05/31/91)

gwni@troi.cc.rochester.edu (G. Wayne Nichols) writes:

> So I removed one of my 5 1/4" floppies and installed the 3 1/2" drive.
> Results?  It doesn't work.

Check the following :

a) Are you using the correct cable with a fat twist between the two
   connectors?

b) Drive A:, or the first device in the chain, always gets the last
   position on the cable. Subsequent floppy or floppy-like devices
   get the next position in the cable, etc.

c) Check the DRIVE SELECT jumper on the drive - usually a jumper marked
   DS on the side or top of the drive close to the power connector.
   This jumper on a 3.5" floppy is normally set to 2, you may have
   to change it to 1 to get the drive to function as the first device.

d) It seems as if you have the cable in correctly from the drive to
   the controller since the drive will spin, however, make sure the
   red edge of the cable is connected to pin 1 of the controller's
   jack or pins. If your controller doesn't have an etched "1" on
   the board telling you where pin 1 is, flip the board over to the
   solder side and look for the pin that is soldered SQUARE as
   opposed to ROUND. The SQUARE one is pin 1.

Hope this helps...

Skip