[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Sony 1304 monitor

ferris@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (Richard T. Ferris) (05/14/91)

I am thinking about getting the Sony 1304 monitor but I have heard
that it produces a large amount of radiation.  My questions are:

1)  Is that true and if so have the results been published somewhere?
2)  Can anything be done to reduce the radiation to an acceptable
level (like using a glare shield).

Thanks for the info.
--RF

Richard Ferris
ferris@grad1.cis.upenn.edu

vcl@mimas.UUCP (Victor C. Limary) (05/15/91)

ferris@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (Richard T. Ferris) writes:

> I am thinking about getting the Sony 1304 monitor but I have heard
> that it produces a large amount of radiation.  My questions are:
>
> 1)  Is that true and if so have the results been published somewhere?

Yes it is true.  Just like your TV emits radiation, but don't worry too
much.

> 2)  Can anything be done to reduce the radiation to an acceptable
> level (like using a glare shield).

Just make sure you sit at least a foot away from the screen.  From that
distance, you should be pretty safe, if you really think that the
radiation is gonna make your face melt...  Seriously though, I don't
think of this as much of a health threat.  I don't sit at the computer
with my face 5 inches from the screen either...

       _______
      /       \
     |  O   O  |         Victor Limary
    <|    <    |>        mimas!vcl@bbx.basis.com
     |  _____  |
      \   U   /
       "-----"

skipm@dorsai (Dorsai SysOp) (05/31/91)

ferris@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (Richard T. Ferris) writes:

> 1)  Is that true and if so have the results been published somewhere?
> 2)  Can anything be done to reduce the radiation to an acceptable
> level (like using a glare shield).

Personally, I feel this whole thing about radiation levels from
monitors is hogwash. I have yet to see myself really extensive proof
that RF from monitors causes serious or harmful damage to human
beings. Only reason I would use a glare shield is to reduce glare
from ambient light sources around my workspace on the monitor.

Skip