[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Trident Dip Switches

cskey@uoft02.utoledo.edu (05/30/91)

Hi,

	I have a bit of a problem. I just acquired a 16-bit Trident super VGA
card complete with original software. The card seems to be a nice one, but I
don't have a manual for it to set the dip switches. It has one block of 6
switches and the Trident chipset. It looks like a Paradise clone and has a
couple of identifying numbers on it. The Serial Number is 0038820A and there is
another number imprinted on the card that reads as follows: TVGA8816CS_D1.
	I have another VGA card that I am using, but it is not as good as this
the Trident. If anyone can help me with these switches, I will be extremely
grateful.
	Mike Jackson

rjbeeth@kesrith.uucp (Rick Beetham) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May29.184602.3849@uoft02.utoledo.edu>
cskey@uoft02.utoledo.edu writes:
> 	I have a bit of a problem. I just acquired a 16-bit Trident super VGA
> card complete with original software. The card seems to be a nice one, but I
> don't have a manual for it to set the dip switches. It has one block of 6
> switches and the Trident chipset. It looks like a Paradise clone and has a
> couple of identifying numbers on it. The Serial Number is 0038820A and there is
> another number imprinted on the card that reads as follows: TVGA8816CS_D1.
> 	Mike Jackson

Mike,

I didn't crack open the case on my machine to check the numbers
however my manual indicates the card as a TVGA8816CSC2 hopefully
that is close enough....

The dip switches set the monitor selection -

"The VGA Graphics Adapter has six-position DIP switch which controls
the monitor setting... You can set the VGA to operate with either an
analog (PS/2 or Multisync) or Multisync digital (TTL) monitor. Table
1 shows you the proper setting for each type of monitor..."

TABLE 1   - Selecting Monitor type

Setting                1     2     3     4     5     6

PS/2, Multisync        ON    ON    ON    ON    N/A   N/A
monitors (Analog)

Multisync              OFF   ON    ON    ON    N/A   N/A
TTL monitors
(Digital)

TABLE 2   - Board Configuration

Setting                1     2     3     4     5     6

16-bit data path       N/A   N/A   N/A   N/A   ON    OFF
 8-bit data path       N/A   N/A   N/A   N/A   ON    ON

"NOTE: The VGA card is shipped with all switches set to ON. Certain
personal computers are not fully compatible with the IBM AT Bus
standard and cannot runt the VGA Graphics Adapter in 16-bit mode.
Therefore, if you install the 16-bit VGA card in a 16-bit slot and
encounter any problems booting or operating your system with these
settings, please reset switch 6 to OFF"

There are also two jumpers that you should be aware of -

J1 - EGA, Multisync, CGA and MDA Monitors:
     If you plan to run an EGA... monitor with the VGA Graphics
     Adapters and have ordered the ooptional hardware configuration
     for these monitors you will need to set Jumper J1 to the
     appropriate monitor setting. You will find J1 located next to
     the TTL connector on the card. Table 2 shows how to set J1 on
     the 8-bit or 16-bit VGA card for specialized use with one of
     these monitors.

TABLE 2

Multisync or EGA (If supported)         1
     (Factory setting)                   X
                                        2
                                        3

CGA/MDA (if supported                   1X

                                        2X

                                        3X

J2 - Automated Bus Size Detection on the 16-bit VGA CARD

Jumper J2, located next to the VGA 8800 controller on the 16-bit VGA
card controls automatic bus size  detection. With automatic bus size
detection on the VGA card will sense whether it is an 8-bit or
16-bit slot and will configure the card accordingly. You can either
set automatic bus size detection to ON, or set the card for 8-bit
BIOS interface. Table 3 illustrates the available settings for J2 on
the 16-bit VGA card

TABLE 3 - J2 Setting for the 16 bit VGA Card

Auto Bus Size Detection ON              3X
      (Factory setting)
                                        2X

                                        1

CGA/MDA (if supported                   3X

                                        2X

                                        1X

Sorry the Jumper settings aren't clear in the manual (hope you don't
have to experiment with them - however if you do I hope that the
description will at least let you know what it is you are playing
with)

Good Luck
        Rick
---
{...}isishq!kesrith!rjbeeth    | Nepean, Ontario
rjbeeth@isishq.fidonet.org