[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] AMD 386 Chips

shutton@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Scott K. Hutton) (05/23/91)

I'd like to make an  all-points call out  to users of  AMD 386 boards.
I'm going to be upgrading my 286 in a couple months  and would like to
know the following with respect to your experience:

  1.  How well does it perform in comparison to Intel's chip?
  2.  What sort of support is available?
  3.  Who's got 'em???  Where can I get my hands on a board with one?

  Scott K. Hutton, KA9WTR           Internet:  SHutton@UCS.Indiana.edu
  UCS Support Services                         SHutton@Bronze.UCS.Indiana.edu
  Indiana University                  Bitnet:  SHutton@IUIS, SHutton@IUBACS

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (05/24/91)

shutton@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Scott K. Hutton) writes:

>I'd like to make an  all-points call out  to users of  AMD 386 boards.
>I'm going to be upgrading my 286 in a couple months  and would like to
>know the following with respect to your experience:
>  1.  How well does it perform in comparison to Intel's chip?

It performs better. 40 MHz is faster than anything Intel has.
It also uses less power and runs cooler, thus it will be more reliable.
In a laptop, the lower power consumption will also mean longer battery life.

>  2.  What sort of support is available?

It is 100% compatible as certified by a third party compatibility lab
and runs any software that Intel's chip runs.

(my opinion only, I don't speak for the company)

--
For the Welfare system to flourish, its clients must not.
Conflict of interest?

pha@hri.com (Paul Anderson) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May23.183516.12788@amd.com>, phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil
Ngai) writes:
> shutton@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Scott K. Hutton) writes:
>
> >  1.  How well does it perform in comparison to Intel's chip?
>
> It performs better. 40 MHz is faster than anything Intel has.
> It also uses less power and runs cooler, thus it will be more reliable.
> In a laptop, the lower power consumption will also mean longer battery life.
>
> >  2.  What sort of support is available?
>
> It is 100% compatible as certified by a third party compatibility lab
> and runs any software that Intel's chip runs.
>
> (my opinion only, I don't speak for the company)

What is the price of the 33 and 40 MHz parts?  The regular
Intel 33MHz part seems to run around $350 or so.  How
much cheaper and where can we get the AMD parts for?

Paul Anderson

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (05/31/91)

pha@hri.com (Paul Anderson) writes:
>What is the price of the 33 and 40 MHz parts?  The regular
>Intel 33MHz part seems to run around $350 or so.  How
>much cheaper and where can we get the AMD parts for?

I'm not in sales, but you could probably contact your
local sales office or distributor. We have an 800 number
for information, try 800 222 9323. If you can't dial
an 800 number, call 408 749 5703.

--
The media is in the business of distorting people's perception of
reality, by emphasising the out of the ordinary.