[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] parallel port problem

winston@fjc.GOV (Winston M. Llamas) (05/20/91)

Knowing that explanations probably abound for this particular problem, but
here it goes anyway.  I bought a generic 386/33 clone this weekend and am
experiencing some difficulty with the printer port.  When I try to print a
file with the computer at full speed, the parallel port fails to communicate
properly with my printer (an old Star Micronics SG-10).  When switching down
to non-turbo speed, however, the printer works fine.  Any suggestions?  I
realize that the i/o card may be problematical (generic no name clone) but I
want to solicit comments since I find this problem curious.  Maybe I ought to
thinker with the bus speed while I'm at it.  If anyone has any idea(s) on this,
I'd appreciate your comment.  Thanks in advance.

Winston
uunet!spock!winston

skipm@dorsai (Dorsai SysOp) (06/01/91)

winston@fjc.GOV (Winston M. Llamas) writes:

> Knowing that explanations probably abound for this particular problem, but
> here it goes anyway.  I bought a generic 386/33 clone this weekend and am
> experiencing some difficulty with the printer port.  When I try to print a
> file with the computer at full speed, the parallel port fails to communicate
> properly with my printer (an old Star Micronics SG-10).  When switching down
> to non-turbo speed, however, the printer works fine.  Any suggestions?  I

If your BIOS chips support it, go into the extended setup, and add more
wait states to the I/O bus, or more "Command Delays" on the bus. Ensure
that there are at least 4 wait states on the 8-bit AT bus, at least
1 wait state on the 16-bit, and a 32-bit wait state is your option.

Skip

** SkipM@DORSAI.com   -  The Dorsai Embassy / Dorsai Diplomatic Mission **
** (Systems Manager)  -  Consulate : (212) 431-1944                     **
** "The difference between a good man, and a bad man, is the choice of  **
**  cause." - Unknown                                                   **