[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] i486 with ETEQ and MRBIOS

marc@gem.stack.urc.tue.nl (Marc Saes) (05/14/91)

Well, the title says it all, does anyone have experience or
information regarding the ETEQ chip set or MRBIOS? I'm
interested in running sysV 4.0 on such a board.

Thanks.

Marc.

ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) (05/15/91)

->Well, the title says it all, does anyone have experience or
->information regarding the ETEQ chip set or MRBIOS? I'm
->interested in running sysV 4.0 on such a board.
->Thanks.
->Marc.

 Hi, Marc.  From Marc.

 I have been running this board for over a month without any major
 problems  (the minor one is it doesn't like DR DOS 5.0).  DOS
 3.3, 4.01 and 5.0 work alright.  I have not tried UNIX, but it
 has been tested extensively by the clone maker (Micro Gen) with
 SCO UNIX w/o any problems that I am aware of (but then I haven't
 run UNIX on it, anyway 8-8).  It supports Sound Blaster! 8-)

jerry@gumby.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) (05/30/91)

In article <1093@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM> ries@venice.sedd.trw.com (Marc Ries) writes:
>Well, the title says it all, does anyone have experience or
>information regarding the ETEQ chip set or MRBIOS? I'm
>interested in running sysV 4.0 on such a board.
>Thanks.

UNIX runs in protected mode, and, therefore, doesn't use the ROM BIOS.
The BIOS is only used to boot UNIX, and then UNIX uses it's own device
drivers to talk directly to the hardware.

--
Jerry Gardner, NJ6A					Altos Computer Systems
UUCP: {sun|pyramid|sco|amdahl|uunet}!altos!jerry	2641 Orchard Parkway

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (06/01/91)

In article <4906@gumby.Altos.COM> jerry@altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) writes:
-In article <1093@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM> ries@venice.sedd.trw.com (Marc Ries) writes:
->Well, the title says it all, does anyone have experience or
->information regarding the ETEQ chip set or MRBIOS? I'm
->interested in running sysV 4.0 on such a board.
->Thanks.

I'm running SCO ODT on a "Smart E-TEQ 486 Mainboard" with 256k
cache and 16MB of RAM (1 MB simms).  It runs twice as fast as a
386/33 on the integer benchamrks I've tried.  The first sample
had something wrong with the I/O bus, which made initilizing the
A floppy drive iffy.  The second sample has not evidenced any
problems in its first 24 hours of Unix.

A more complete definition of the BIOS parameters would be welcome.

A 50 MHz "Ice Cap" board caused Unix to panic when attempting to
run 286 programs or DOS emulators.