[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] SCSI Question

randall@Virginia.EDU (Ran Atkinson) (05/21/91)

In article <912@volvo.vd.volvo.se> Someone writes:
>Hello hardware hackers out there.
>I'm designing a scsi interface to an ms-dos machine.
[remainder deleted to conserve bandwidth :-)]

  Hardware specific discussions really belong more in
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware or maybe comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
or maybe in both of those.

  This posting quoted above and a few others that arrived here today
are concerned with chip-level interfacing and other hardware stuff and
really are misplaced in comp.os.msdos.programmer.

  Please lets all try to be more careful in selecting newsgroups
before we post please. :-)

And we thank you for your support.

<U35828@uicvm.uic.edu> (05/27/91)

Does anyone have anything good to say about the WD 7000 FASST2 SCSI host
adapter?  Is there anyone out there who has used this particular piece
of hardware?  An inquiring mind would like to know.

Would this be a prudent choice for someone who would like to daisy chain
devices externally (i.e. a Tecmar 8mm tape drive or a Chinon external
CD-rom drive or both)?

Please send E-mail to (U35828@UICVM.CC.UIC.EDU); I am not a frequent
reader of this section.

Thanks

jrd@cc.usu.edu (06/01/91)

In article <91146.221157U35828@uicvm.uic.edu>, <U35828@uicvm.uic.edu> writes:
> Does anyone have anything good to say about the WD 7000 FASST2 SCSI host
> adapter?  Is there anyone out there who has used this particular piece
> of hardware?  An inquiring mind would like to know.
>
> Would this be a prudent choice for someone who would like to daisy chain
> devices externally (i.e. a Tecmar 8mm tape drive or a Chinon external
> CD-rom drive or both)?
>
> Please send E-mail to (U35828@UICVM.CC.UIC.EDU); I am not a frequent
> reader of this section.
>
> Thanks

--------------------------------
<null name>:
	The WD 7000 FASST2 board is quite competent, thankyou, and has a
nice set of DOS utilities bundled with it. There are other vendors offering
equivalent products, Adaptec and Future Domain for two, so one has to do
the basic research and talking with the vendors to make a local decision.
SCSI requires that you do systems integration work, and that means spending
time on the phone and on the vendors BBS's to gather compatibility info for
all the pieces before making final selections. Yes, that is a pain but the
results are worth it. I would shop carefully for the software drivers and
supporting applications programs associated with each peripheral (ask the
peripheral manufacturer).
	Joe D.