[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Adaptec AHA 1542B and QEMM 5.12 pro

neese@adaptx1.UUCP (05/14/91)

>/* ---------- "Adaptec AHA 1542B and QEMM 5.12 pro" ---------- */
>

>Although Adaptec says in their documentation, that there are no problems
>with QEMM from version 5.0 on, my system crashes again and again.
>
>My machine is a 33 Mhz 386 with a AHA 1542B SCSI controller.
>
>Especially HILOAD causes this problem quite often.

Do you have the ASW-1410 v2.x loaded?  This is required for virtual memory
programs.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Senior SCSI Applications Engineer
			UUCP @  neese@adaptex
				uunet!cs.utexas.edu!utacfd!merch!adaptex!neese

jerry@gumby.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) (05/30/91)

>/* ---------- "Adaptec AHA 1542B and QEMM 5.12 pro" ---------- */
>

>Although Adaptec says in their documentation, that there are no problems
>with QEMM from version 5.0 on, my system crashes again and again.
>
>My machine is a 33 Mhz 386 with a AHA 1542B SCSI controller.
>
>Especially HILOAD causes this problem quite often.

I had this problem too until I started using the aspi4dos.sys driver that
came with my 1542B.

The problem is related to QEMM putting the 386 into virtual 8086 mode.
CPU memory addresses may no longer map directly to the physical addresses
that are used by the 1542B.  The Adaptec driver handles this correctly.

--
Jerry Gardner, NJ6A					Altos Computer Systems
UUCP: {sun|pyramid|sco|amdahl|uunet}!altos!jerry	2641 Orchard Parkway

jnwester@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Joern Westermann) (06/02/91)

jerry@gumby.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) writes:

>>/* ---------- "Adaptec AHA 1542B and QEMM 5.12 pro" ---------- */
>>

>>Although Adaptec says in their documentation, that there are no problems
>>with QEMM from version 5.0 on, my system crashes again and again.
>>
>>My machine is a 33 Mhz 386 with a AHA 1542B SCSI controller.
>>
>>Especially HILOAD causes this problem quite often.

>I had this problem too until I started using the aspi4dos.sys driver that
>came with my 1542B.

>The problem is related to QEMM putting the 386 into virtual 8086 mode.
>CPU memory addresses may no longer map directly to the physical addresses
>that are used by the 1542B.  The Adaptec driver handles this correctly.

You can also use the QEMM option "diskbuf". "diskbuf=04" works fine on my
computer with Adaptec 1542B.
   Joern
---
Joern Westermann                         |||||||||
Henkestr. 71a                           /-(o)_(o)-\  IRC-Nick:
8520 Erlangen                          | \_______/ |       Guenthi
Tel.: +49 9131 208076                  \___________/
Internet: jnwester@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
or	: uunet!unido!fauern!jnwester