[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Start up problem, Original IBM AT

vnend@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (D. W. James) (06/02/91)

Hello all.  Here's the layout:

Original IBM PC/AT (piggy back ram and all.)
New DTK PTI-220 H/FD controller
One new 360K floppy and one 1.2meg floppy.
Serial/Parallel and Memory card (16 bit), with 128K (one bank) installed,
	came with system.
8 bit CGA with composite out
Original AT case and powersupply, new 4.5v battery.
60meg NEC MFM HD.
Chicony keyboard, switched to AT mode.

The HD is not hooked up at the moment, to save wear and tear on it while I
work on the other problem...

At power on, the machine runs through the memory check fine (with and w/o the
extra memory card installed).  It then returns error 161 Run system start-up,
and beeps twice (two, medium length, equal beeps.  This pattern is not in any
of the manuals I've checked), cycles the heads and spins the disk in the top
drive and tells me to hit F1 to continue.  Hitting F1 produces a slightly
longer, single beep, then a pause, and then cassette basic. (!?!)

The frustrating part of this is that, after going through all the tests I can
think of, and that IBM's Hardware Maint. and Service manual recommends,
("Replace system board.", or some such) and going so far as to install a
second motherboard, it still fails exactly the same way!  To date, I have
checked:

Power supply (output to MB, both floppies and the HD all dead on the specs.)
Disk drive (the 360 was installed in a friends machine, it worked fine.)
The Diagnostics disk (on a machine it work, it is readable and appears to
be in fine shape.)
Several floppy controllers (same results with all of them.  The DTK is brand
new.)

Ideas?  Did I just get two MB's with exactly the same problem, or is ther
something I don't know about this whole mess?  I can ship the second MB
back for a replacement, but I'd like to exhaust all my resources first, and
you guys are about the limit of places I can afford to take the question to.
Thanks.

--

Vnend, Lottery winner #316                 Ignorance is the mother of adventure.
vnend@princeton.edu, vnend@pucc.bitnet, or {backbone}!princeton!nudity!vnend

barnett@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Karey Barnett) (06/03/91)

In article <10316@idunno.Princeton.EDU> vnend@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (D. W. James) writes:

>The HD is not hooked up at the moment, to save wear and tear on it while I
>work on the other problem...

  This bit of information is important.  (See below)

>At power on, the machine runs through the memory check fine (with and w/o the
>extra memory card installed).  It then returns error 161 Run system start-up,
>and beeps twice (two, medium length, equal beeps.  This pattern is not in any
>of the manuals I've checked), cycles the heads and spins the disk in the top
>drive and tells me to hit F1 to continue.  Hitting F1 produces a slightly
>longer, single beep, then a pause, and then cassette basic. (!?!)

  The system, knowing that you are equipped with a hard drive, will try
  to boot from your hard drive.  If there is an error in the boot,
  the next thing the system will do is run basic.

  An AT that I worked on did this when track 0 of the hard drive was
  physically bad.  In my case, I didn't have to replace the hard drive,
  but that's another issue.

  Try connecting the hard drive and see what the result is.