[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] *Summary* Hardwareproblem - Soundblaster/33MHz 386

mnrausch@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Martin Rausche) (05/28/91)

Here is my summary about my problems with Soundblaster and my 33MHz 386 machine

First of all, here is my original posting:

> I have a big problem with Soundblaster on a 33MHz-386 board.
> Description of the problem:

> I have installed the Soundblaster (ver1.5) in my computer. Then I tried
> to run the test-sbc.exe program. It stops with a window saying: Error 0400.
> The manual says: DMA-conflict (Remove your scannercard or ...) SB uses
> DMA channel 1 and this feature cannot be reconfigured. (Great, what can
> I do? I haven't got a scanner card. Maybe I schould buy one to remove it from
> my computer :-)
> Then I tried parrot.bat and ... it worked !!!!
> Then I tried fmorgan.bat and ... it worked !!!!
> Then I tried sbaitso.bat and ... it said "HELL" and locked up the computer !!!

> Description of hardware:

> 33MHz 386 with C&T-chips
> AT-Bus-Controller with 210MB-Seagate-harddisk
> Speedstar SuperVGA
> Soundblaster version 1.5 (without CMS-Chips)

> I NEED HELP !!!
> I tried the SB on three different computers and it worked. I hope someone
> out there knows how to get that Sound%$^#$& to work on my machine.
> Thanks in advance for your help. Please answer by EMail and I post a summary.

> Martin. (mnrausch@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de)

Here are the answers I received with some additional comments. My comments
begin with ***.

Date: Tue, 21 May 91 22:15:55 PDT
From: shaehnichen@UCSD.EDU (Social Hacker!)

As a temporary fix, try taking the computer out of turbo..
It worked for me.

Call the CMS BBS and get the new files; the old ones had timing
problems on 33Mhz machines.. You are not alone.

-Steve

}>> Steve Haehnichen <<{
  shaehnichen@ucsd.edu      Disclaimer: UCSD and I do not share any opinions.

*** This did'nt work, I tried to slow down the computer as much as I can, but it
*** had no effect.

Date: Tue, 21 May 91 19:47 GMT
From: roger@larry.ruhr.de (Roger Schwentker)

*** (This one was in German. Here is a short summary of that mail)

Maybe the problem is caused by your harddisk-controller card.
The programs parrot and fmorgan don't use DMA.
*** (I know that B-)
Try to use the jumpers on the hd-controllercard to fix that problem.
*** That isn't possible
The problem doesn't depend on the processor speed.

|  Roger Schwentker                UUCP/EUNET  : ironduke@fernuni-hagen.de   |
|  Fernuniversttaet Hagen          private     : roger@larry.ruhr.de         |
|  Prakt. Informatik III           EARN/BITNET : ironduke@dhafeu51.bitnet    |
|  D - 5800 Hagen                  phone       : +49 2331 804 2102           |
|  Es gibt zwei Arten von Narren.                                            |
|    Der eine sagt: "Dies ist alt und deshalb gut."                          |
|    Und der andere sagt: "Dies ist neu und deshalb besser."                 |
|  John Brunner, Der Schockwellenreiter, 1975                                |

Date: Tue, 21 May 91 15:38:20 -0400
From: Stephen M Smith <smsmith@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>

It (*** the manual) also says that a diskette COPY card or a SCSI device
might cause conflicts.  Do you have ANY other card in your computer other than
1) a video card; 2) a floppy/hd controller card; and 3) a par/ser
card???

*** My description of hardware was a complete description B-)

Are you using any special memory managers like QRAM, QEMM, etc.?
When I'm multitasking with Desqview (w/QEMM loaded of course) my
soundblaster sometimes does the same thing, i.e. it will say the first
word of a text then lock up.  What is contained in your config.sys
file?  Any SOFTWARE conflicts???

*** I used a plain vanilla DOS, but no effect.

*** Some info about soundblaster deleted here, because I see that
*** posting a couple of times during the last two weeks, and this
*** information is not necessary to solve my problem

Stephen M. Smith  \  +  /
<smsmith@magnus.  \+++++/    " #*&<-[89s]*(k#$@-_=//a2$]'+=.(2_&*%>,,@
 acs.ohio-state.  \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC

Date: 21 May 91 17:19:04 GMT
From: ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG)

Call Creative Labs for their BBS number and download a file call PROG.EXE
which contain the 33MHz version of testsbc, etc.

*** Not possible, because I haven't got a Modem

Date: Wed, 22 May 91 10:33:11 +0100
From: Michael Traub <traub@rtf.bt.co.uk>

Ok this isn't much help I'm afraid but a little extra information
(which you may already know anyway). Only some of the SB programs
use DMA, the rest just use the IRQ and read the data manually.
Obviously you are having trouble with the DMA usage whilst everything
else works ok. I noticed when I bought the S/B that the DMA was
hardwired to channel 1 and thought that was a bit crappy, however I
didn't have anything else using that DMA channel so it was ok.

If the list of hardware you provided is complete then there shouldn't
be anything else using DMA channel 1. Check your hard-disk controller
first and see if that has any jumpers to alter the DMA channel (there
will probably be a pair of them) if not it may be your C&T chipset,
but I don't know what to do in that case (and I keep well clear
of any C&T stuff as it always causes problems).

*** You are right !!! I talked with my dealer and he ordered another motherboard
*** for me. Now I use a Sys-board with AMI-BIOS and this thing works and is
*** faster than the old Chips & Incompatibility - board. :-)
*** Thank you for your advice. That's the only possible solution !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Traub
BT Customer Systems, Brighton Systems Centre. traub@rtf.bt.co.uk

From: Stephen M Smith <smsmith@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>

In addition to that last long-winded letter, here's some more
info concerning Soundblaster and 386-33 machines.  I posted this
a couple months ago:

*** A lot of info about software problems deleted, because my problem isn't
*** a software problem !!!

Date: Wed May 22 15:06:04 1991
From: rick@uunet.uu.net

Does your machine have the AMI BIOS with extended setup?  If it does,
try changing the DMA speed (lower).  Some machines have other
mechanisms (jumpers, differant BIOS) for changing the DMA speed; some
machines don't give you any control.

*** see above.

	--rick
Rick Wagner / Always Technology			email: rick@always.COM
31336 Via Colinas, Suite 101			Voice: 1-818-597-1400
Westlake Village, CA 91362			Fax: 1-818-597-1496

Don't put off 'til tomorrow, what you can do today,
because if you enjoy it today, you can do it again tomorrow

*** The solution to all my problems:
*** Don't use those C&T-boards if you want to use a Soundblaster card
*** I hope that posting is of some interest for others than me.

---
| Martin Rausche                                                              |
| EMail: mnrausch@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de                            |
| Trust me, I know what I'm doing -- Sledge Hammer                            |

mnrausch@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Martin Rausche) (06/03/91)

Sorry, but there was a big mistake in my previous post.

The motherboard that I use now is a
   SIS motherboard.

Bye. Martin.
---