[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Help sought with WD HD controller

murray@uctvax.uct.ac.za (05/27/91)

Hello:

I have a Western Digital 1:1 Interleave MFM hard/floppy controller with no
documentation. I need to put this into my machine which already has a SCSI
(Adaptec 1542 Hard/Floppy) controller. I would like to disable the floppy
controller on my WD card (I already know how to do this on the SCSI). Can
anybody help?

The controller is a WD 1006v-mm2, and it has two blocks of jumpers:

One close to the hard drive connectors marked 'W1' with 8 posts (or place
      for 4 jumpers).

And one close to the backplane/floppy controller with 6 posts(place for 3
      jumpers) marked w3, w4, w5.

Disabling the floppy drive controller would be the best, mut moving it to
a different address would also be OK as long as it didn't conflict.

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

+-----------------------+--------------------------------------------------+
|Mark RV Murray         | Domain : murray@ucthpx.uct.ac.za                 |
|Scientific Programmer, | BangPath : ..!uunet!m2xenix!quagga!ucthpx!murray |
|Physics Dept,          | CotW : I'd prefer a free bottle in front of me.  |
|University of Cape Town| +27 21 6503362 (w)      +27 21 617936 (h)        |
+-----------------------+--------------------------------------------------+

dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Darmawan Ludirdja) (06/01/91)

murray@uctvax.uct.ac.za writes:

>Hello:

>I have a Western Digital 1:1 Interleave MFM hard/floppy controller with no
>documentation. I need to put this into my machine which already has a SCSI
>(Adaptec 1542 Hard/Floppy) controller. I would like to disable the floppy
>controller on my WD card (I already know how to do this on the SCSI). Can
>anybody help?

>The controller is a WD 1006v-mm2, and it has two blocks of jumpers:

>One close to the hard drive connectors marked 'W1' with 8 posts (or place
>      for 4 jumpers).

>And one close to the backplane/floppy controller with 6 posts(place for 3
>      jumpers) marked w3, w4, w5.

>Disabling the floppy drive controller would be the best, mut moving it to
>a different address would also be OK as long as it didn't conflict.

>Thanks in advance.

>Mark.

>+-----------------------+--------------------------------------------------+
>|Mark RV Murray         | Domain : murray@ucthpx.uct.ac.za                 |
>|Scientific Programmer, | BangPath : ..!uunet!m2xenix!quagga!ucthpx!murray |
>|Physics Dept,          | CotW : I'd prefer a free bottle in front of me.  |
>|University of Cape Town| +27 21 6503362 (w)      +27 21 617936 (h)        |
>+-----------------------+--------------------------------------------------+

I have a brief manual for the above controller.
I guess what you need is to set the W4 jumper:

Jumper W4 pins:
1-2   off   Primary floppy I/O addresses
      on    Secondary floppy I/O addresses.

Hope this help.

Good luck,
Darmawan
dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

nfs0294@dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil (Glen Midkiff) (06/03/91)

From article <200897.2840fb5c@uctvax.uct.ac.za$, by murray@uctvax.uct.ac.za:
$ Hello:
$
[...]
	You can download the docs file for this controller from the
	Western Digital BBS, 714-753-1234.

 |Glen Midkiff   osu-cis!dsac!gmidkiff                                   |
 |From the Internet: gmidkiff@dsac.dla.mil                               |
 |Phone: (614)-238-9643 @DLA, Systems Automation Center, Columbus, Oh.   |