[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] SCSI questions

fordke@infonode.ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) (10/30/90)

I've got a friend who has a SCSI drive (Quantum I think) and a
"Future Domain" controller in an 386 clone.  He says he needs
special software to format this drive.  I thought the controller
would handle this and allow any formatting software to work.
However, he has no docs on the controller.  If you have info on
a "Future Domain" SCSI controller or know how to get this drive
formatted, please let me know.  I will pass the info along.
--
| ...!uunet!ingr!fordke    OR    fordke@ingr.com
| Micro Magic BBS     (Fidonet: 1:373/12,   MaBell: +1 205 830 2362)
| "and the Trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw." -Rush

igb@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Isidore G Bendrihem) (12/18/90)

I'm thinking on getting a SCSI controller and disk for my 386sx.  I'm
considering the WD7000-FASST2.  Here are my questions:

1) Can I keep my investment on my MFM drives and run both controllers
   at the same time? The MFM controller is a WD1006V-MM2.

2) How many floppy devices can I drive with the SCSI controller?  Can I
   add an additional floppy controller if it can only handle 1?

3) Can the SCSI controller drive my MFM drives? (Highly unlikely!)

4) Has anybody heard of the Always Technology SCSI controller? Any comments?

Please respond to this account. I'll summarize.

Isidore Bendrihem
igb@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu

ewahl@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Ed A Wahl) (05/23/91)

I recently purchased an IN-2000 SCSI host adapter from HDI.  I like a lot,
but I hace been seeing weird errors at boot time and from different disk-
optimiser programs.  Occassionally when I boot I get a 40x25 message
NO ROM BASIC SYSTEM HALTED
It seems like the disk (MAXTOR XT8760S) is working fine, and when I reboot,
it works just fine.  Could this just be the system booting before the disk
has responded to a ready?  I have a 286 20, with 1M RAM.  It runs around 23-
24 MHz.  and starts VERY quickly. (AMI bios)

Also I have been using Central Point Compress on my old ST-506 for as long
as I can remember, but it does not work now. error #(843?) comes up.
I no longer have a CMOS entry, could this cause a problem?  Norton Speed
Disk seems to work fine, but I like the clearing of free Clusters that
Compress does.  Can I do something to fool it?

Also checkit ver. 2.(11?) seems to think that there are 2 drives, both
non -dos.  Yet, when I select drive 1 for a test, no drive is detected.

I am running DOS 4.01 on a Advantage PC 286-20.  Any help would be
appreciated.

--
    ewahl@magnus   Edward A. Wahl	Ohio State University Engineering
           "VM is a text adventure, when you win, you get to use UNIX"

skipm@dorsai (Dorsai SysOp) (06/03/91)

ewahl@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Ed A Wahl) writes:

> I recently purchased an IN-2000 SCSI host adapter from HDI.  I like a lot,
> but I hace been seeing weird errors at boot time and from different disk-
> optimiser programs.  Occassionally when I boot I get a 40x25 message
> NO ROM BASIC SYSTEM HALTED

When you get a processor halt like that, it means the machine could
not find a boot strap / device. The system attemped to boot from a
floppy, then from a hard drive, then from a floppy again, and finally
to a ROM that didn't exist. The ROM boot is a hangover from the
original IBM-PC design, where if a boot disk was not in a floppy, or
there was no HDD, 2 of the 4 (2 BIOS / 2 BASIC) ROM chips had
BASIC on them. Your system most likely does NOT have BASIC chips
installed.

Check your SCSI controller configuration to make sure that you're
booting solidly every time.

As far as the NON-DOS drives, are your drive partitions created by
DOS's FDISK or by other software such as DM from Seagate? Seagate
partitions other than the boot partition (if the BOOT partition is
under your version of DOS
's logical limit) will show up as Non-DOS partitions.

Skip

** SkipM@DORSAI.com   -  The Dorsai Embassy / Dorsai Diplomatic Mission **
** (Systems Manager)  -  Consulate : (212) 431-1944                     **
** "The difference between a good man, and a bad man, is the choice of  **
**  cause." - Unknown                                                   **

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (06/04/91)

In article <q7Hy31w163w@dorsai> skipm@dorsai (Dorsai SysOp) writes:
>ewahl@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Ed A Wahl) writes:
>> but I hace been seeing weird errors at boot time ...
>Check your SCSI controller configuration to make sure ...
>As far as the NON-DOS drives, are your drive partitions created by
>DOS's FDISK or by other software such as DM from Seagate? Seagate
>partitions other than the boot partition (if the BOOT partition is
>under your version of DOS's logical limit) will show up as Non-DOS partitions.

Seagate supplies software called Disk Manager to aid in formatting, etc of
their disks.  By default, it only allows one bootable disk, and makes non-
standard partitions (disk manager partitions).  The user can select DOS
partitions, I think it's option 5 (and it is documented very poorly...)
under the partition option menu.  Multiple bootable disks, now that's very
interesting.  My opinion is that only 1 bootable partition will be allowed
per physical drive, under DM at least anyway.  It MAY be a option or allowed
to make multiple drives available bootable, but I doubt it.  I think you
probably will have to reboot and take all other bootable drives off line in
order to force DM to make multiple bootable disks.
Either way, it will be up to your CONTROLLER to allow any disk other than
drive #1 to boot.  It also MUST do something to renumber the drives if that's
your intention.  The organization of logical drives will be messed up and
I think some device driver or software must be used to 'force' other drives
that aren't available at boot time into the system....
With SCSI disks, support has only been added to disk manager in a recent
version.  4.5 of 5.0 I believe.  Before that, I don't know at all what will
happen.....
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu