[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Scanner

tm150s227@telstr.UUCP (Ted Masune) (05/30/91)

I am still looking for a scanner that picks up pencil marks on a data sheet.
I have no Idea who makes such a product... But I know that they are out there.
 I have looked in the Shopper but couldn't find it.  I don't know if my
messages are getting back to me here since this feed is in the process of
changing software... anyways any help on those scanners that read pencil makes
would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Ted

CompuServe:  73617,344

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (06/04/91)

In article <tm150s227.0997@telstr.UUCP> tm150s227@telstr.UUCP (Ted Masune) writes:
>I am still looking for a scanner that picks up pencil marks on a data sheet.
>I have no Idea who makes such a product... But I know that they are out there.
> I have looked in the Shopper but couldn't find it.  I don't know if my
>messages are getting back to me here since this feed is in the process of
>changing software... anyways any help on those scanners that read pencil makes
>would be appreciated.  Thank you.

  I think you are talking about Optical Mark Readers - the fill in the
bar/circle with a No. 2 pencil - that are typically used for giving
multiple choice tests such as SAT, Achievement tests, class exams, etc.

 There are two main manufacturers that I am aware of:

  National Computer Systems (NCS)

and

  Scantron

 I have done programming for the NCS type machines. Not too difficult.
The concept and technology are rather old, however, and some uses of
optical scanners and soon-to-be-released pen-based computers may make
this technology obsolete and relatively inflexible in comparison. I
suggest you think carefully about the alternative solutions to whatever
the application is before choosing this one.

  However, I can probably find the addresses and phones numbers for
NCs and Scantron if you're still interested. Please email.