[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Converting SIPPs to SIMMs

forrest@sybase.com (05/28/91)

Is it possible to convert a SIPP to a SIMM by cutting or unsoldering
those little wire legs? If not, why not?

----
Anything you read here is my opinion and in no way represents Sybase, Inc.

Jon Forrest WB6EDM

rich@aoa.UUCP (Rich Snow) (06/01/91)

In article <13006@sybase.sybase.com> forrest@sybase.com writes:
>Is it possible to convert a SIPP to a SIMM by cutting or unsoldering
>those little wire legs? If not, why not?

Get the data sheets on the parts and compare them. If the voltages
are the same and the pins have the same function, you could probably
do it fine. I've seen a couple motherboards with BOTH SIP and SIM
sockets. It's likely that the voltages and functions of the
chips are very close.

The hardest part is going to be mounting the chips securely
and modifying the wiring - without putting too long a wire on them, or
frying the thing with your soldering iron.

Have fun (but experiment on a cheap chip first!)

-Rich
--
*	Rich Snow  AOA-----------------*
*       (617)864-0201

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (06/04/91)

rich@aoa.UUCP (Rich Snow) writes:
>In article <13006@sybase.sybase.com> forrest@sybase.com writes:
>>Is it possible to convert a SIPP to a SIMM by cutting or unsoldering
>>those little wire legs? If not, why not?

Yes, I have done it.

>Get the data sheets on the parts and compare them. If the voltages

If you think of the vendors as lazy, which they are, you would
guess the pinouts etc would be exactly the same and the differences
purely mechanical. That is, unless they're made by Intel :-)

>The hardest part is going to be mounting the chips securely
>and modifying the wiring - without putting too long a wire on them, or
>frying the thing with your soldering iron.

It's easy to go SIPP to SIMM. Just mount the SIPP in a vise, heat the
pin with a soldering iron and use a needle nose to pull it off.  (this
assumes basic soldering iron capabilities on your part)

Are you thinking of SIMM to SIPP?

--
The media is in the business of distorting people's perception of
reality, by emphasising the out of the ordinary.

oneel@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.170314.16573@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:

   rich@aoa.UUCP (Rich Snow) writes:
   >In article <13006@sybase.sybase.com> forrest@sybase.com writes:
   >>Is it possible to convert a SIPP to a SIMM by cutting or unsoldering
   >>those little wire legs? If not, why not?

   Yes, I have done it.

   >Get the data sheets on the parts and compare them. If the voltages

   If you think of the vendors as lazy, which they are, you would
   guess the pinouts etc would be exactly the same and the differences
   purely mechanical. That is, unless they're made by Intel :-)

   >The hardest part is going to be mounting the chips securely
   >and modifying the wiring - without putting too long a wire on them, or
   >frying the thing with your soldering iron.

   It's easy to go SIPP to SIMM. Just mount the SIPP in a vise, heat the
   pin with a soldering iron and use a needle nose to pull it off.  (this
   assumes basic soldering iron capabilities on your part)

   Are you thinking of SIMM to SIPP?

The local "cheap do it your self" computer store sells both simms and
sipps.  He charges $2.00 more for the sipps because he buys simms and
the legs and solders the legs on.

bruce
--
Bruce O'Neel              oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov