[net.travel] bicycling in Eastern Europe

shallit@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP (Jeff Shallit) (04/15/84)

I'm currently planning a five-week bicycling trip through Hungary,
Czechoslovakia, and southern Poland.

I've been on two bicycle trips in Western Europe before, and feel pretty
sure of the bicycling end of it, but I'd like to hear Eastern Europe
horror stories.

Anybody have anything to warn me about (currency exchange, visa problems,
availability of parts, being hassled by the military, unreadable maps and/or
road signs, terrain much rougher than I anticpate, etc.?)

I plan to start in Vienna, then southeast to Budapest, then south to Pecs,
then north through Czechoslovakia, then Poland (Krakow, Katowice, etc.) then
south to Prague and back to Vienna.

Thanks,
Jeff
...lbl-csam!oddjob!gargoyle!shallit