[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Anyone have info on a NEC Multisync monitor??

jay@retix.retix.com (Jay Logue) (05/30/91)

I have an old NEC Multisync monitor which appears to support both
digital and analog inputs via a single connector.  (The signal type is
selectable using a switch located on the back).  However, as I don't
have any docs, I don't know the configuration of the pins on the
connector when it is in analog mode.

Can anyone send me this information?  I imagine its readily available
in the user documentation that came with the monitor.

Thanks in advance!

Jay Logue

INGREDIENTS: Jay Logue's personal opinions, cute signature,
physical/electronic addresses, and one or more of the following used
as a filler: assorted quotations, extraneous punctuation, white-space.

CONTAINS NO OFFICIAL EMPLOYER OPINIONS OR POSITIONS.

Not to be taken internally.  If accidentally injested, flush with
generous quantities of Jose Quervo Gold and consult your nearest
bartender immediately.
Retix

USMail: 2644 30th Street, Santa Monica, CA 90405-3009 U.S.A
   Tel:	(213) 399-1611
   Fax:	(213) 458-2685
 Telex: 4944307
E-mail:	jay@retix.com
 X.400:	C=US;ADMD=TELEMAIL;PRMD=RETIX;O=OSI ONE;S=LOGUE;G=JAY

markw@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com (mark williams) (06/04/91)

The original NEC multisync monitor has both TTL and analog inputs, but was
(over-) designed for the EGA era (TTL in, 9-pin connector).  It will sync over
quite a wide range, including EGA and VGA video, using the following info:

Use TTL for EGA resolution, analog for VGA (flip the input switch from analog
to TTL positions, and adjust the sync until it works).  You need a 9 pin (EGA)
to 15 pin (VGA) adapter and a VGA cable to use it with most VGA boards.
JDR Microdevices in San Jose sells both adapters and cables.

I am sure of all this because I am using the monitor in VGA mode on a
home system.  Clean Deal!

jay@retix.retix.com (Jay Logue) (06/05/91)

In article <45390002@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com> markw@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com (mark williams) writes:
>The original NEC multisync monitor has both TTL and analog inputs, but was
>(over-) designed for the EGA era (TTL in, 9-pin connector).  It will sync over
>quite a wide range, including EGA and VGA video, using the following info:
>
>Use TTL for EGA resolution, analog for VGA (flip the input switch from analog
>to TTL positions, and adjust the sync until it works).  You need a 9 pin (EGA)
>to 15 pin (VGA) adapter and a VGA cable to use it with most VGA boards.
>JDR Microdevices in San Jose sells both adapters and cables.
>
>I am sure of all this because I am using the monitor in VGA mode on a
>home system.  Clean Deal!

This is absolutely right!  Even though I'm having a b**ch of a time
finding a 9 to 15 pin adapter, I was able to jury-rig a cable and,
lo-and-behold, on my screen was beautiful 256 color VGA!  I'm able to
run X in 800x600x256 non-interlaced with no problems.  I have to
fiddle with the controls a bit to get the image sync'ed and centered.
But other than a little flairing for bright images, the picture is
quite good.

For anyone with one of these monitors that wishes to upgrade from EGA
to VGA, the effort is painless and cheap.  Why pay $400+ for a NEC 2A
when the monitor on your desk will do the job!?!  The only things
you'll give up are automatic syncing/centering and a little image
quality (but give 'em a break, these monitors are old and if they're
like mine, they've been through alot).

BTW, the 9 to 15 pin adapters are really not hard to find.  It's just
that no one in a 50 mile radius of me seems to have one in stock!

Jay Logue

INGREDIENTS: Jay Logue's personal opinions, cute signature,
physical/electronic addresses, and one or more of the following used
as a filler: assorted quotations, extraneous punctuation, white-space.

CONTAINS NO OFFICIAL EMPLOYER OPINIONS OR POSITIONS.

Not to be taken internally.  If accidentally injested, flush with
generous quantities of Jose Quervo Gold and consult your nearest
bartender immediately.
Retix

USMail: 2644 30th Street, Santa Monica, CA 90405-3009 U.S.A
   Tel:	(213) 399-1611
   Fax:	(213) 458-2685
 Telex: 4944307
E-mail:	jay@retix.com
 X.400:	C=US;ADMD=TELEMAIL;PRMD=RETIX;O=OSI ONE;S=LOGUE;G=JAY

wdp@ee.egr.duke.edu (William D. Palmer) (06/05/91)

Wednesday, 04 JUN 91

To: Jay Logue (jay@retix.retix.com)

In reference to your posting in comp.sys.ibm.pc.harware (10048):

> Subject: Anyone have info on a NEC Multisync monitor??
> Date: 29 May 91 23:47:11 GMT

> Can anyone send me this information?  I imagine its readily available
> in the user documentation that came with the monitor.

I presume you want to use it for VGA.  If this is so, you need to make an
adapter cable from an HD-15P at the VGA card to a DB-9S at the multisync.
Typical pinouts are shown below.

          VGA output               NEC input

          1. RED (out)             1. RED (in)
          2. GREEN (out)           2. GREEN (in)
          3. BLUE (out)            3. BLUE (out)
          4. Monitor ID2           4. Horizontal SYNC (out)
          5. GROUND                5. Vertical SYNC (out)
          6. RED (return)          6. GROUND
          7. GREEN (return)        7. GROUND
          8. BLUE (return)         8. GROUND
          9. No Pin                9. GROUND
         10. SYNC (return)
         11. Monitor ID0
         12. Monitor ID1
         13. Horizontal SYNC (out)
         14. Vertical SYNC (out)
         15. Reserved

So you need to make a cable like this

          HD-15P                   DB-9S           FUNCTION

          1. --------------------- 1.              RED
          2. --------------------- 2.              GREEN
          3. --------------------- 3.              BLUE
         13. --------------------- 4.              H SYNC
         14. --------------------- 5.              V SYNC
          5. ------------------+-- 6.              GROUND
                               |-- 7.
                               |-- 8.
                               +-- 9.

Set the switches on the NEC to ANALOG, MANUAL, and 64 COLOR.  Run a
program that uses graphics mode and adjust V HOLD for no roll as you
switch back and forth between text mode and graphics mode.  Adjust the
CONTRAST and BRIGHTNESS controls until the colors look O.K.

THis information is tested only on the NEC Multisync JC-1401P3A with a
Video 7 VEGA card.  Any use with other equipment is strictly framming on
the permis of the derialtor, blah, blah, etc.

> Thanks in advance!

You're welcome.

> Jay Logue

Dev Palmer