[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] New 386SX CPU Upgrades for 286 Based Machines

CES8@psuvm.psu.edu (06/04/91)

Intel and Aox have recently released 386SX CPU upgrade modules for some 286
based computers. Both are small modules that plug into the existing 286 socket
(Aox's is 1.5"x1.5"x0.6" and Intel's is 5 sq. inches). Also, both have a 16KB
cache to compensate for the slow memory access and both support the 287 math
coprocessor.

Intel's SnapIn claims compatibility with the PS/2 models 50 & 60, however
additional support should be announced by the end of the year. The list
price for the SnapIn is $495 (around $370 mail order). Their benchmarks are
Norton SI of 21, 2.7 MIPS, 801.8K Whetstones and 3793 Drystones. They claim
a performance boost of 1.7 to 2.0. The SnapIn uses a 386SX-20MHz.

Aox's StaX claims compatibility with a fairly wide range of 286 PC's (includes
the PS/2 30-286, Compaq Deskpro 286, AST Bravo & Premium, HP Vectra, IBM AT and
some others). Two versions are available, a 386SX-16MHz ($279) and a
386SX-20MHz ($329 direct from Aox). Their benchmark figures are similar to the
ones for the Intel SnapIn. NSTL (National Software Testing Labs) tested the
StaX with a variety of software. They claim compatibility with all the major
386 memory managers (QEMM, 386MAX).

Usual disclaimer applies. I am not connected with any of the above mentioned
companies.

CES8@psuvm.psu.edu

cyang%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Cheng Yang) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun4.185223.22097@viewlogic.com> paulsen@viewlogic.com (Bill Paulsen) writes:
>>Intel and Aox have recently released 386SX CPU upgrade modules for some 286
>>based computers. Both are small modules that plug into the existing 286 socket
>>(Aox's is 1.5"x1.5"x0.6" and Intel's is 5 sq. inches). Also, both have a 16KB
>>cache to compensate for the slow memory access and both support the 287 math
>>coprocessor.
>
>Just out of curiosity, when you can buy a 386sx-16 motherboard for about $300,
>who would buy these things?

Well, probably I will buy that stuff.  I have a 287 and 4 M RAM on my 286
motherboard, and I don't want to waste them, (those worth over $300)
while 387SX is still expensive to me.

I just called AOX, and the salesperson told me that they will charge 10%
returning fee if the module won't work on my motherboard and I return it.

I have a motherboard made by Jameco Electronics, 16 MHz 286, Chip &
Technology chipset, and AMI BIOS (with Memory interleave and BIOS shadows).

Is there anybody here has the similar motherboard/BIOS and tried that 386SX
module?  How well does it work?  The person in AOX claimed that the module
will let the machine run Windows 3.0 in 386 mode.

By the way, I am wondering how the software can detect what kind of CPU,
286 or 386 is on the motherboard.  I think if the software is asking the
BIOS, then it won't run in 386 mode while the 286 BIOS is there.  I
know it is possible to identify 386 by running some 386 instructions.  Which
way are most 386 applications using?

I would like to hear from you, who have experience with that module.

Thanks a lot for your time in advance.

*	Ho capito, signor,si!........                                       *
*                                                                           *
*Cheng Yang				Home Address:                       *
*Department of Computer Science		808 East, 300 South, #3             *
*University of Utah			Salt Lake City, UT 84102            *
*E-Mail Address:cyang@peruvian.utah.edu	Tel: 801-322-1918                   *

paulsen@viewlogic.com (Bill Paulsen) (06/05/91)

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (06/06/91)

paulsen@viewlogic.com (Bill Paulsen) writes:
>Just out of curiosity, when you can buy a 386sx-16 motherboard for about $300,
>who would buy these things?

People who have micro channel based machines.

--
There is no right to free speech when someone else is paying you.

bich@hpsciz.sc.hp.com (Bich Tran) (06/06/91)

No true if you don't have a clone system. Hp Vectra or IBM would not support
a clone motherboard ( wont fit in) and power supply pinout is different.
And not taking into account the quality an HP/IBM systems will offer. THere
is a justification for the premium price offered by these manufacturers.
I have both an HP Vectra and a clone 486, and the quality of the VEctra really stands out

bic