[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Expanz

moose@aoa.UUCP (Bruce Trvalik) (05/21/91)

Has anyone tried a board called Expanz. It is suppose to compress/decompress
your hard disk on the fly.  They claim that your disk size increases 2-3X.
I could believe that of text files..but binary?  They also claim a
"performance" (speed?) gain of the same magnitude.

Thanks
	Bruce

--

	bruce trvalik
	...!{harvard,ima}!bbn!aoa!moose

skipm@dorsai (Dorsai SysOp) (06/01/91)

moose@aoa.UUCP (Bruce Trvalik) writes:

> Has anyone tried a board called Expanz. It is suppose to compress/decompress
> your hard disk on the fly.  They claim that your disk size increases 2-3X.
> I could believe that of text files..but binary?  They also claim a
> "performance" (speed?) gain of the same magnitude.

I never liked these cards, like "Disk Doubler", that compress your
disk data, and uncompress it on the fly - if you lose your card,
you lose your data...

Skip

** SkipM@DORSAI.com   -  The Dorsai Embassy / Dorsai Diplomatic Mission **
** (Systems Manager)  -  Consulate : (212) 431-1944                     **
** "The difference between a good man, and a bad man, is the choice of  **
**  cause." - Unknown                                                   **

ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (06/02/91)

skipm@dorsai (Dorsai SysOp) writes:

> I never liked these cards, like "Disk Doubler", that compress your

Disk Doubler is software--ONLY.

--
  "These are the days of lasers in the jungle; this is a long
   distance call."  Paul Simon - The Boy in the Bubble, Graceland

lorenh@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (Loren Heisey) (06/03/91)

>> Has anyone tried a board called Expanz. It is suppose to compress/decompress
>> your hard disk on the fly.  They claim that your disk size increases 2-3X.
>> I could believe that of text files..but binary?  They also claim a
>> "performance" (speed?) gain of the same magnitude.
>
>I never liked these cards, like "Disk Doubler", that compress your
>disk data, and uncompress it on the fly - if you lose your card,
>you lose your data...

The Expanz card comes with a safety floppy that has a software emulation
mode that allows access to the data on the disk if the card fails. This
of course assumes the card did not mess up the data on the disk when it
failed.

--
Loren Heisey
Internet: lorenh@hpcvra.cv.hp.com

svirsky@ttidca.TTI.COM (Bill Svirsky) (06/04/91)

skipm@dorsai (Dorsai SysOp) writes:
> I never liked these cards, like "Disk Doubler", that compress your
> disk data, and uncompress it on the fly - if you lose your card,
> you lose your data...

I don't know about Expanz, but it's probably like Stacker which I do
know about. Stacker can run as software only. So if you lose your card,
you DON'T lose your data. You do take a 10-20% performance hit running
just the software though.
--
Bill Svirsky, Citicorp+TTI, 3100 Ocean Park Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405
Work phone: 213-450-9111 x2597

archer@stlvm2.vnet.ibm.com ("Gary D. Archer") (06/04/91)

skipm@dorsai writes:
!I never liked these cards, like "Disk Doubler", that compress your
!disk data, and uncompress it on the fly - if you lose your card,
!you lose your data...
!
!Skip

That's why I like and use Stacker.  It has both software and hardware
support, and if the hardware card fails it will go back to software
only at a small cost of performance.  Stacker software version sells for
$85 discounted.

Gary

6600psi1@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mathew Wayne Yee) (06/05/91)

In a previous article, someone mentioned that Disk
Doubler was software only.  From what I have read,
the company that sells the software also sells a
plug in card for the standard AT bus.  This card is
also called Disk Doubler.

Mathew Yee
6600psi1@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu
*All opinions are my own, unless you don't agree.
*In which case, I'm like the govenment and won't
*take any responsibility for my actions.

tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason Garms) (06/07/91)

In article <JZ2w31w164w@halcyon.uucp>, halcyon!ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) writes:
> skipm@dorsai (Dorsai SysOp) writes:
>
> > I never liked these cards, like "Disk Doubler", that compress your
>
> Disk Doubler is software--ONLY.
>
> --
>   "These are the days of lasers in the jungle; this is a long
>    distance call."  Paul Simon - The Boy in the Bubble, Graceland

I'm not sure if there is one out for the IBM yet, but an accelerator card is
available (optional) for the Macintosh version.  The card is under not condition
required!

Jason Garms
tgoose@eng.umd.edu