[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] need help with hard drive

ccoprdg@prism.gatech.EDU (Drew Gonczi) (06/05/91)

     I have a poor little Tandy 1000 TX that I'm trying to fix up for my
dad.  I was foolish (when I owned and used the computer) to purchase the
Tandy 21meg hard card.

     It's a Western Digital Hard drive and a WD 8 bit controller card.
The problem with the HD is that CYL 508 H 1 is bad, but the card's
llformat routine (debug...g=c800:5...etc) never marks this track as bad.
I need to know where I can get a llformat program in which I can specify
bad tracks.

     Tandy hasn't been any help since my computer is over 2 years old.
Anyway it's a WD 614 cyl 4 head drive.  If any of you could help, I'd
really appreciate it.

Thanks...

--
Drew Gonczi                     | "Blood follows blood and we make sure
Georgia Institute of Technology |  Life ain't for you and we're the cure"

barnett@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Karey Barnett) (06/07/91)

In article <30644@hydra.gatech.EDU> ccoprdg@prism.gatech.EDU (Drew Gonczi) writes:

>     I have a poor little Tandy 1000 TX that I'm trying to fix up for my
>dad.  I was foolish (when I owned and used the computer) to purchase the
>Tandy 21meg hard card.
>
>     It's a Western Digital Hard drive and a WD 8 bit controller card.
>The problem with the HD is that CYL 508 H 1 is bad, but the card's
>llformat routine (debug...g=c800:5...etc) never marks this track as bad.
>I need to know where I can get a llformat program in which I can specify
>bad tracks.

    One question, how did you know that the cylinder was bad?  I'm not
    sure, but if the cylinder is really physically bad, then the llformatter
    should have detected it.  As I reread your message, I could be
    misinterpreting you.  Are you saying that the llformatter detects
    the cylinder as being bad but doesn't mark it bad?