[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] PS/2 floppy to std floppy i/f

bking@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Barry King) (06/03/91)

Does anyone know if it's possible to connect a PS/2 style floppy
connector to a standard run of the mill floppy interface?  I know that it
isn't physically possible but was wondering if, electrically speaking,
there is a corresponding mapping from the PS/2 spec to the 'standard'.

Thanks in advance.

Barry King              bking@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982

herder@myab.se (Jan Herder) (06/07/91)

In article <Ta9X32w164w@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca> bking@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Barry King) writes:
>Does anyone know if it's possible to connect a PS/2 style floppy
>connector to a standard run of the mill floppy interface?  I know that it
>isn't physically possible but was wondering if, electrically speaking,
>there is a corresponding mapping from the PS/2 spec to the 'standard'.
The intercafe is almost the same. What IBM has done is to integrate
the power in the ribbon cable. The pin 1-34 is the same.
Pinout for 35-40:
35: Ground
36: Ground
37: Ground  (+5 Vdc Return)
38: +5 Vdc
39: Ground  (+12 Vdc Return)
40: +12 Vdc
--
Jan Herder, FORDONSDATA Sweden             |  Phone: +46 31 18 75 12
Internet: herder@myab.se                   |  Fax:   +46 31 18 28 42