[net.travel] Club Med

alanurm@tonto.DEC (How can you fly till the spirit gets you high?) (03/29/84)

From:	RHEA::MAILER-DAEMON   29-MAR-1984 11:09
To:	tonto::alanurm  ! How can you fly till the spirit gets you high?
Subj:	Unable to deliver mail to decvax::net.travel, remote node is unknown

Date: Thursday, 29 Mar 1984 08:10:24-PST

------- Returned Message

Date: Thursday, 29 Mar 1984 08:09:47-PST
From: tonto::alanurm  (How can you fly till the spirit gets you high?)
To: decvax::"net.travel"
Subject: Club med

From:	BABEL::BAZEMORE     "From the cubicle of Barbara B."   29-MAR-1984 10:55
To:	LEN
Subj:	You can forward this on to the newletter

Subj: Club Med
Newsgroups: net.travel

For Walt Barnes and Stephen Hartley

My husband and I went to Club Med Eluthera (in the Bahamas) last
November.  We were so impressed we're planning to spend two
weeks at the the Fort Royal (Guadalope) Club next November!

The atmosphere is very relaxed, and occasionally rather zany.
The GOs (Gentle Organizers) are incredibly nice and helpful.
It does take awhile to get used to the French guys, who are
outrageous flirts.

The Club is well kept, the food is very good (but not quite
as good as they advertised in the brochure) and there is plenty
of it.  Breakfast and lunch are buffet style with a grill where
you can order eggs, burgers, etc.  At lunch and dinner a carafe
each of white, rose and red wine are on each table, if they run
out it is easy to get them refilled.  Dinner is several courses.
On two nights (out of seven) we had our choice of three entrees,
other nights there was only one choice for main course.  There
is also a nice fruit and salad bar.

The rooms are small, but adequate.  It is an incentive to get out
of the room.  Almost all the rooms have twin beds, which they will
make up as a double if you ask them.  This didn't work as well as
we would have liked.

The clubs with Mini-Clubs tend to be more family oriented.  If
you want a singles atmosphere, then avoid resorts which have
mini-clubs.

No one is ever out of place at Club Med.  The GOs make sure of
that.

Scuba diving with the club is fantastic!  Once you pass the physical
and the checkout dive, you're all set.  Once a day you can go out
for a 'deep dive'.  Most of our dives were in 30'-40' of water,
although we did go out to the continental shelf where it drops
from 80' to 1000' rather quickly.  The water and wildlife are
beautiful!  The dive instructors all want to work at the Fort
Royal Club so that they can dive around Pigeon Island, which
is supposed to be one of the seven best dive spots in the
world (according to Jaques Cousteau).

The Club Med in Cancun, Mexico is apparently the most popular Club
(in the American sector).

We feel that early November is the best time to go.  The rates are low,
the hurricane season is over and the Club is less crowded.  When
we went to Eluthera there were 110 guests (GMs) and 112 GOs.  The
next week (Thanksgiving), they were expecting 650 guests.

Words of warning : the drinks tend to be on the expensive side,
so if you plan to drink, allow plenty of money.  The boutiques are
also sort of expensive.  Also, there are no locks on the rooms.
If you have anything of value (including cameras), you might want to
leave them in the Club's safe (which is only open a couple of hours
a day).

If you have any questions feel free to send me mail (I'm not on
this newsletter distribution).

Happy vacation!

				Barbara Bazemore
				DecWrl!Rhea!Babel!Bazemore@Shasta.Arpa

------- End of Returned Message

jphalter@ihuxb.UUCP (J. Halter) (04/17/84)

ljhlkajhwqyweoiruyqwejhfgksahgdflahgdfkjhgakdjhfqkegoqyuoewiryoqiuefhgaskjhfg

Please post your Club Med comments to the net.

I'm interested, too!!!!!!

graham@convex.UUCP (04/21/84)

#R:ihuxb:-58700:convex:43800003:000:154
convex!graham    Apr 20 19:53:00 1984

Just exactly what is Club Med?  I've never heard of it before net.travel!

Marv Graham; ConVex Computer Corp. {allegra,ihnp4,uiucdcs,ctvax}!convex!graham