[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Seagate drives

msmith@proton.tricity.wsu.edu (Mark Smith) (06/05/91)

I know that Seagate has had MAJOR problems with their smaller drives 20-40
Meg.  Does this problem extend into their bigger drives? 100 Meg or bigger?

Also.  Is Fujitsu a good manufacturer?

tomg@code3.com (Tom Green) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun5.021859.17088@serval.net.wsu.edu> msmith@proton.tricity.wsu.edu (Mark Smith) writes:
>I know that Seagate has had MAJOR problems with their smaller drives 20-40
>Meg.  Does this problem extend into their bigger drives? 100 Meg or bigger?
>
>Also.  Is Fujitsu a good manufacturer?

In MHO Fujitsu is one of the best out there.  They have one of the best
MTBFs and warranties available for medium sized drives.  I wouldn't buy
Seagate unless I had to to satisfy a customers specifications.

--
Tom Green
- Life's a pain, then you die.				  _/_ __ ____ __

keithe@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (06/07/91)

In article <1873@hsi.hsi.com> tomg@code3.com (Tom Green) writes:
>In MHO Fujitsu is one of the best out there.  They have one of the best
>MTBFs and warranties available for medium sized drives.  I wouldn't buy
>Seagate unless I had to to satisfy a customers specifications.

Their SCSI and ESDI drives, from the CDC/Imprimis labels, are still
outstanding drives, arguably (just watch... :-) the best available.

(help *) KEITHE()

bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) (06/07/91)

In article <9662@sail.LABS.TEK.COM> keithe@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
>In article <1873@hsi.hsi.com> tomg@code3.com (Tom Green) writes:
>>                                                 I wouldn't buy
>>Seagate unless I had to to satisfy a customers specifications.
>
>Their SCSI and ESDI drives, from the CDC/Imprimis labels, are still
>outstanding drives, arguably (just watch... :-) the best available.

Yes, but make sure they're drives designed and manufactured by CDC/Imprimis.
Drives actually designed by Seagate (e.g. st296n) aren't worth their shipping
costs.  I currently own an ST1126A (100 MB, IDE) which is very fast, very
quiet, very reliable, and very unlike any ST225, ST251, ST296N, etc. drive.

DISCLAIMER:  This is my own personal opinion based solely on personal
             experience with a half dozen different seagate drives.
             Your milage may vary.--
Scott Bostater      Georgia Tech Research Institute - Radar Systems Analysis
"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him"  -Ps 62.1
uucp:     ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!bb16
Internet: bb16@prism.gatech.edu

ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu (Geraldo Veiga) (06/07/91)

In article <1873@hsi.hsi.com> tomg@code3.com (Tom Green) writes:

>In MHO Fujitsu is one of the best out there.  They have one of the best
>MTBFs and warranties available for medium sized drives.  I wouldn't buy
>Seagate unless I had to to satisfy a customers specifications.

I bought a Fujitsu 2263E ( The 600+M ESDI one) for a system I was
setting up for a friend.  We went for it because of price, Fujitsu
brand name and the advertised warranty (5 years).  However, nowhere in
the literature packaged with the disk there any mention of a
warranty.  This is an official Fujitsu America drive (not grey market).
Are warranties in disk drives implied by the MTBF rating?
I guess I will never know for sure unless the thing breaks
down and I go back to the distributor.

This aside, it looks and sounds like a very good drive -- very fast and
quiet.  Actually, is unbeatable at the 600M class from price point of
view.

tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason Garms) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun7.142105.23289@agate.berkeley.edu>, ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu (Geraldo Veiga) writes:
> I bought a Fujitsu 2263E ( The 600+M ESDI one) for a system I was
> setting up for a friend.  We went for it because of price, Fujitsu
> brand name and the advertised warranty (5 years).  However, nowhere in
> the literature packaged with the disk there any mention of a
> warranty.  This is an official Fujitsu America drive (not grey market).
> Are warranties in disk drives implied by the MTBF rating?
> I guess I will never know for sure unless the thing breaks
> down and I go back to the distributor.
>
> This aside, it looks and sounds like a very good drive -- very fast and
> quiet.  Actually, is unbeatable at the 600M class from price point of
> view.

MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) is not an implied warranty!  It is just
a manufacturers projection as to the life of the drive.  Warranties will be
explicitly stated as such.  Many companies claim 5 year MTBF but only have a
one year warranty.

Jason Garms
tgoose@eng.umd.edu